Cocci? Not sure...

Good day everyone. Today Josefina is standing up a lot more and trying to walk a lot more. I weighed her and she has gained 12 grams which I think is a good sign. She is still eating well as long as I hand feed her. I got a bit of grit down her last night but not much. I'm trying to decide if I should tape her legs for support, the chicken chick has a good article on this...we will see. Here is a pic of our little girl right before she got sick...can't wait to see her up and walking again!

What a cutie!

Have you tried giving her Poly Vi Sol without Iron? It's a baby vitamin. Should be easy to find. Just add a couple drops to the water (1-2c).

I think trying to bind her legs so they're straight might help a lot.

Can you feel anything odd near her hip? Say maybe one part of the hip normally higher than the other? I have a quail with a hip issue, one side higher than the other. She can walk fine & lays fine but she did have spraddle leg when she was first hatched. I was pondering culling her at hatch but she moved, ate & played with all the other quail as if nothing was amiss. Never chirped loudly or looked in distress from walking. I just won't be breeding her but I'm glad I gave her a chance.

Alright, day six of this adventure. I have finally figured out the perfect food for her, I call it her baby formula. I started her on it this morning, after heeding the concerns that she might struggle to digest the oatmeal without grit. Her crop has seemed fine, but I know it is better if she eats her chick starter so...I took I raw egg, mixed in an equal amount of kefir, added some chick starter, a bit of water and a touch of her vitamin powder and blended it really good with an immersion blender. I put it in a condiment bottle with the long tube on the end and whala! It takes so much less time to feed her and she loves it!

Today she is standing up really well and a lot! She is still having trouble walking, and struggles to get her leg to bend on its own. But she has gained a lot of strength in it. I also noticed that she has a knobby growth on her knee - maybe from growing wrong? Tomorrow is tape day, it can't hurt to try and see if it will help!

Day seven...guess who can walk?!

She woke me up a five this morning chirping as loud as she could to let me know she was hungry. She had even eaten a dish of dry chick starter I left in her pen when all this started...she hadn't even touched it previously. And she ate it all, not just the seeds! So I gave her another scoop of starter and tried to go back to sleep but to no avail. An hour and a half later when I went in to feed her the formula, she had eaten all of her chick starter again!

Ahh sweet victory, she is eating, she can walk, she stands up totally on her own when I feed her. In a few days we can probably put her back with her friends. I never did tape her legs, I guess she just needed a bit more time and nutrition.

Thank you again to everyone that has followed this and offered wisdom. Here is a pic of her this morning, she looks so funny with her tiny little body and big ole feathers.

She's def on the road to recovery. Esp that she's eating everything now, not just the seeds. Can't wait to see her back with the rest of the flock. She's also very cute. :)

Speaking of integrating her back with the girls....question...they are about two weeks away from being outside all the time. I am concerned that if I put her back with her girls, I will just have to separate them again because she is so small - she has a ton of feathers but being so tiny I don't know that she will be warm enough.

What do you think about putting her out during the day with them but bringing her in at night - after proper reintroductions, of course?

Can you keep her in a separate pen inside the safety of the run/coop. So long as she's in auditory (or visual) range of the other birds it'll help her re-integrate. You can bring her in at night without having to run after her.

What do we think cocci? They are all acting fine just these poops. Thanks
Some people will say that's normal shed intestinal lining, and maybe it is *if* you only see a couple of them, but when mine do that it's because they have worms or coccidiosis, so I treat them for both if they've been outside. If they're still in a brooder and haven't been on dirt, I treat for just the coccidiosis.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

Here are all of the doses
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per gallon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon per gallon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon per gallon.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom