Coccidia 1 week old chicks

CharlotteBEe

Chirping
Jun 26, 2023
So start I did not intend to bring phone chicks.
I went to the local feed store and brought home 4 chicks (3 I knew that were injured and one seemingly healthy one).

1 was dying on the way home and did … despite the sugar water and heat (I stopped along the way).

Now 3

The seemingly healthy one had blood in his/her stool. So I started corrid (it’s what I had on hand ) dosage is 1/16 teaspoon of 9.6% corrid to 4ozs of water for all of them.

The second one died (who I believe is a silkie).

The 3rd who I also believe is a silkie has a huge puss ball (size of a small marble) in his/her left eye. I cleaned it out ( an eye wash solution) and am putting terramycin on his/her eye.

I have never lost chicks before and am at loss how to save them or what I can do differently in the future.

On the way home I had the heat blasting with heat packs for the chicks). I gave organic mashed pear, mixed berry and beet with flax (little journey ) and sugar water for the listless one who died on the way.

Only one week old seems too young for coccidiosis, though I am not sure if that’s different for feed store chicks if the brooder isn’t cleaned out before adding newly hatched chicks. Corid won’t hurt them.
If they were sickly at the store, they might have suffered in shipping - sometimes it is just too hard on them and they can’t recover.
Do you have nutridrench or save-a-chick electrolytes? Those would be good to give - though don’t give extra vitamins if you give Corid. In that case look up a recipe for making poultry electrolytes and add some sugar.
As for next time: Pick healthy strong looking chicks at the store. Travel and change puts more stress on the weaker ones and they might actually be better off staying put for a bit. You can get one of those heat packs the hatcheries use for shipping chicks if the trip home is long and cold. Make sure they are safe from drafts. At home have everything ready so that they can warm up right away. Make sure the water you offer is lukewarm, adding some save-a-chick or similar electrolytes or sugar is a good idea. Then dip their beaks to get them drinking. Once they drink introduce them to feed.
Keeping fingers crossed for your little charges.

Only one week old seems too young for coccidiosis, though I am not sure if that’s different for feed store chicks if the brooder isn’t cleaned out before adding newly hatched chicks. Corid won’t hurt them.
If they were sickly at the store, they might have suffered in shipping - sometimes it is just too hard on them and they can’t recover.
Do you have nutridrench or save-a-chick electrolytes? Those would be good to give - though don’t give extra vitamins if you give Corid. In that case look up a recipe for making poultry electrolytes and add some sugar.
As for next time: Pick healthy strong looking chicks at the store. Travel and change puts more stress on the weaker ones and they might actually be better off staying put for a bit. You can get one of those heat packs the hatcheries use for shipping chicks if the trip home is long and cold. Make sure they are safe from drafts. At home have everything ready so that they can warm up right away. Make sure the water you offer is lukewarm, adding some save-a-chick or similar electrolytes or sugar is a good idea. Then dip their beaks to get them drinking. Once they drink introduce them to feed.
Keeping fingers crossed for your little charg

Keeping fingers crossed for your little charges.

Even with blood in the pooop? I got them to try and give them a chance. They stayed very warm from car to home . The only time they could have lost their heat was in the box while at the store to the car (I should have went out and got the heat packs for them) . I’ll go get some nutridrench today thank you for the suggestions!
The two that unfortunately died couldn’t walk when I got them. The 2nd one I thought was going to make it because she/he seemed to be getting stronger. The store thought there was something wrong with their legs.

The ones that I believe are silkies and just came in I was told so I agree the shipping must have been hard on them but the first one that died was there along time because this one’s group was discounted.

Attachments

• IMG_5871.jpeg
    IMG_5871.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5884.jpeg
    IMG_5884.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg