Coccidiosis poop?? *Not for the squeamish*

She is still not 100% :( The greens she is eating are coming out as they go in! She is eating lots, and pooping loads, but it looks like nothing is being digested properly. Does everything a chicken eat get broken down? I am mixing grit in with her mash, but she wont eat it freely. She is on day 3 of cocci treatment, wormed before christmas, and shows no signs of anything respitory. I read that with mareks, they lose their appetite but she eats all the time. If it is cocci, should the treatment start working by now? Thanks :)

I don't know what you are using, so I can't say.

Sulmet works quickly, most showing improvement in 2 to 3 days. Corid (Amprolium) takes longer.

However, you are in the UK so I'm not familiar with the drugs there.

At any rate, I would continue on the meds and put her on chicken feed making a mash out of it with yogurt as well.

Hopefully you will see improvement in a couple of more days.

LofMc

Last edited:
I don't know what you are using, so I can't say.

Sulmet works quickly, most showing improvement in 2 to 3 days. Corid (Amprolium) takes longer.

However, you are in the UK so I'm not familiar with the drugs there.

At any rate, I would continue on the meds and put her on chicken feed making a mash out of it with yogurt as well.

Hopefully you will see improvement in a couple of more days.

LofMc
I am using Coxoid https://www.hensforpets.co.uk/products/poultry-tonics-healthcare/coxoid-coccidiosis-treatment . I change her medication water daily. She is such a fussy eater.. I will try her with yogurt in her feed. many thanks :)

Last edited:
I would slack off on the greens, and mostly feed wet mash, a little egg, and plain yogurt. The gut can get sick from any coccidia infection, and it may take some probiotics and vitamins in the water to get things back to normal. Wanting to eat is a good sign.

Yes agree...take the greens away....only chicken mash with plain yogurt.

Vitamins in water would be really good too....along with meds.

ACV too if the acid doesn't interfere with the meds. ACV (raw with mother) feeds the good bacteria in the gut that the yogurt (probiotics) puts there.

LofMc

She won't touch the yogurt lol! Even mixed in with her mash.... Too fussy for her own good! Any other means of giving her good bacterial? Thanks, Tahsa.

She is still not 100% :(   The greens she is eating are coming out as they go in! She is eating lots, and pooping loads, but it looks like nothing is being digested properly. Does everything a chicken eat get broken down? I am mixing grit in with her mash, but she wont eat it freely. She is on day 3 of cocci treatment, wormed before christmas, and shows no signs of anything respitory. I read that with mareks, they lose their appetite but she eats all the time. If it is cocci, should the treatment start working by now? Thanks :)

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy
I have just cleaned her pen before I saw this, so as soon as she deposits I will... on another note, when I was doing my daily lice check, for the 1st time I lifted the feathers on her thighs, normally I do vent, under wings, back of neck and chest.... and she had them!! I was like OMG!! I had permethrin spot on in the cupboard, so I immediately dropped the required amount on parts of her body, and within 2hrs they were dropping onto her poop paper! I feel awful for her as they must of been causing her so much grief!! She is stronger on her feet today anyway, so hopefully she is coming through whatever her ailment is.

Poop pic to follow :)

Back
Top Bottom