Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
May have already posted this but are Cochins the same as Pekins according to a book I have bantam Cochins are not actually related to lf Cochins at all they are actually Pekins with a different name

Cochin bantams and Pekins are the same thing. Large fowl Cochins however are where the discussion seems to come from.
Bantam Cochins are not a bantamised version of the large fowl breed from what i have read.They are different breeds in my opinion, and were created from differing breeds depending on which author you believe.

Interestingly Carefoot believed that Cochin bantams were not the same as Pekins, but most modern articles seem to think they are the same.

Just my thoughts.

From the records I have read regarding cochin/bamtam cochin/pekins genetics, Andy's thoughts are correct. The "original" Cochins imported into the UK from Asia are different and looked barely like modern cochin LF.

Dave

Cochin bantams and Pekins are the same thing. Large fowl Cochins however are where the discussion seems to come from.
Bantam Cochins are not a bantamised version of the large fowl breed from what i have read.They are different breeds in my opinion, and were created from differing breeds depending on which author you believe.

Interestingly Carefoot believed that Cochin bantams were not the same as Pekins, but most modern articles seem to think they are the same.

Just my thoughts.
I agree. I think that while the Cochin/Pekin are the same breed the desired birds are different in different continents. Australia seems to go for an extreme forward tilt. Europe less extreme but the birds are not quite as wide as in the Americas. The color and patterns that breeders all over the world come up with are incredible.

I have seen SQ LF Frizzle Cochins in the USA developed from breeding SQ Bantam frizzles to LF and in 7 generations the results are amazing. Jamie Matts has done it and not sacrificed type in any way. They will continue to do well in shows in my opinion.

Craig

Hi! This is my first time posting on this thread. My name is Jen. I am getting my first frizzled bantam cochin this evening!! Picking up 2 hens and a rooster! I am SOOO excited! I already have 29 chickens, but no frizzles yet! I have one chicken house for large fowl and one for bantams.

I do have one quick question for you experienced owners. Do you think I need to make a separate space for my cochin frizzles? Like I said, I have a bantam house but I sort of feel like the cochins will be smaller than most of my bantams. Am I correct here? I am American Game Bantams, Brahma Bantams, Dutch Bantams, and some mixes that I rescued recently. I will of course be keeping the newbies quarantines from the others for at least a month, but just wondering if I should be working on new living quarters for my cochins in the mean time. Thanks and I am loving looking at the pics of your beautiful birds!!!
love.gif

Hi! This is my first time posting on this thread. My name is Jen. I am getting my first frizzled bantam cochin this evening!! Picking up 2 hens and a rooster! I am SOOO excited! I already have 29 chickens, but no frizzles yet! I have one chicken house for large fowl and one for bantams.

I do have one quick question for you experienced owners. Do you think I need to make a separate space for my cochin frizzles? Like I said, I have a bantam house but I sort of feel like the cochins will be smaller than most of my bantams. Am I correct here? I am American Game Bantams, Brahma Bantams, Dutch Bantams, and some mixes that I rescued recently. I will of course be keeping the newbies quarantines from the others for at least a month, but just wondering if I should be working on new living quarters for my cochins in the mean time. Thanks and I am loving looking at the pics of your beautiful birds!!!
love.gif
I dont have issues with the size (our wyandotte bantams are taller ), however frizzles feathers are not made for any sort of flying so you may want to provide a small roost that is just a hop up from the floor or build in some ramps so the frizzles can get up to higher spots

I dont have issues with the size (our wyandotte bantams are taller ), however frizzles feathers are not made for any sort of flying so you may want to provide a small roost that is just a hop up from the floor or build in some ramps so the frizzles can get up to higher spots
Thanks for the info! I did not consider this and will keep it in mind for sure!

Back
Top Bottom