Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
what do u think? Negatives? Positives?
It looks like it has some Silkie in it. The feathering on the head looks almost like a Silkie cockerel's top knot with streamers on its head and a comb that is not a typical single comb like the one on the left has. That's why I asked if it was a first generation Sizzle.

I don't understand the issue with having double frizzle chickens. I have several and they are healthy and happy. They may look a bit funny in summer when they malt but other then that they are great. Breed a double frizzle with any smooth chicken and 100% will be single frizzles.

I have a pathetic double-copy frizzle bantam Cochin pullet (from a hatchery) who is really ratty looking.  I watched the other day as one of my Polish sat there plucking at her pathetic feathers.  It looked like she was plucking them out and eating them.  The silly frazzle just sat there and enjoyed the grooming!  She's a mess, with lots of bare skin.  So far, no one has started pecking at the skin.  I just moved them into my big back yard for the winter which has a lot more space and cover, so I expect the Polish's picking will not happen much.  I'm in South Central Texas where the day-time temperatures rarely dip below freezing.

I also have a same-age (8 months) Silkie cockerel and a double-copy frizzle bantam Cochin cockerel, both from the same hatchery.  Until this weekend, they had the run of my back yard.  I had intended to let them in with the flock of pullets:  seven Silkies, four Polish, one bantam Plymouth Rock and the aforementioned double-copy bantam frizzle Cochin pullet.  Now, I'm not so sure I want a cockerel anywhere near this poor double-copy frizzle pullet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it so the poor frazzled pullet won't be hurt by the cockerels?  At the moment, I'm caging the two cockerels in a small dog run.  I have other places I could put them such as in a 20 foot long parrot aviary, but I wanted the sparse grass in that aviary to recover after out wickedly hot summer and having chicks in that cage over the summer.  They could also go back in the pen I had the pullet group in but again, I really want that grass to recover.

I have thought about culling them, but I kind of like the Cochin cockerel and he needs a buddy, so the Silkie lives.

Can the frazzle Cochin pullet live with some sort of saddle on her?  I'm worried the saddle will do a lot of damage to already sparse, weak feathers she has and she will end up with rub injuries or ingrown feathers, etc.  Where do I find information about saddles, especially as it relates to frazzle pullets?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Make them jumpers :) that's what I did for my double frizzle hens. Or you can buy these saddle things that go on their backs where the rooster mounts them.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Diapers-and-Saddles/Chicken-Saddle-Free-shipping-p764.aspx

Last edited:
I don't understand the issue with having double frizzle chickens. I have several and they are healthy and happy. They may look a bit funny in summer when they malt but other then that they are great. Breed a double frizzle with any smooth chicken and 100% will be single frizzles.

I have a problem with double frizzles because their feathers are of such poor quality, they break and fall out just by picking them up gently. Double frizzles have trouble maintaining their heat, with all kinds of problems associated with that from thyroid problems to high heart rates and enlarged hearts.

I have a pullet that I am worried about being seriously injured by one of my cockerels.

Yes, bred to a smooth they produce 100% frizzle and are very, very handy in a breeding program. I didn't buy breeding birds. I bought "frizzled" Cochins expecting half frizzled and half smooth. Instead I got 3/4 double copy frizzles and 1/4 frizzle. They take extra care to be sure they are safe. That's not what I signed up for when I bought them.

My concern is mainly for the summer.  Last summer temperatures were 107F and there was something like 45 days of over 100F.  The chickens really suffered, even though they were in the shade.

Yeah I worry about that too, I used a thin material 2 make the jumpers. It stops them from getting sunburnt too. I think she was glad when I slipped the jumper over her. Before the jumper I only let my roo out with my double frizzle hens once a week. They can stay fertile after mating for up to a month.

Yeah I worry about that too, I used a thin material 2 make the jumpers. It stops them from getting sunburnt too. I think she was glad when I slipped the jumper over her. Before the jumper I only let my roo out with my double frizzle hens once a week. They can stay fertile after mating for up to a month.

Do you have a pattern of some sort?

I had kept the two cockerels (a Silkie and a frazzle Cochin) separate in a small pen. Previously, they had the run of my big backyard with the pullet group in another pen and the free range Ameraucanas over the rest of my two acres. The two cockerels haven't been happy since I switched the group of pullets (7 Silkies, 4 Polish, the frazzle and a bantam Plymouth Rock) to the big back yard and relegated them to a small pen while I'm giving the other yard a chance to recover. The other day, I accidentally left their gate open and came home to a very happy group of chickens. The hussy Silkies had some cockerels and the cockerels had some freedom and girls. The cockerels are young (10 months) and have so far ignored the frazzle pullet. I'll have to do something to protect her pretty soon or go back to separating them.

I wouldn't have these problems with a frizzle!

And, rest assured, I won't be hatching any eggs from the frazzle pullet and frazzle cockerel.

No I don't have a pattern. I just cut two leg wholes in a bit of material and cut holes for wings and bum/tail then stitched it at the top. All done with my hen in the outfit haha she loved the attention, she's a real sook. I think you can find patterns on the internet, they make them for old battery hens with feather loss.

Back
Top Bottom