Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Glad it was helpful! I'm still learning a lot myself! Chicken genetics kind of brings out my inner-nerd
1f913.png
I have all kinds of papers with notes with different crosses and my gene cheat sheets...lol

I'd love to get some rabbits at some point. I have to wait until we can get some more coops built before we get to bunny housing, though.

If you have any suggestions on websites or sheets I could print out on the chicken genetics that would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all! I have some questions regarding bantam cochin color genetics. I recently hatched my first batch of chicks from my bantam pens.

These are the pens I have:
Birchen cochin trio
Birchen roo over black frizzle hens,
White frizzle roo over partridge cochin hen
Partridge silkie roo over 1 smooth red cochin and 1 frizzle red cochin (trying to get a partridge frizzle)

All 6 chicks that hatched are cochins. I have 3 black chicks, 2 blue chicks, and 1 partridge looking chick. I'm wondering where the heck that blue came from!!!! Does the birchen color not breed true? I'm not upset I have blues, but I am wondering genetically how that happened. I do not have any pictures of the chicks as they are free ranging with their mom, but I can get some if anyone would like to see.

Hello all! I have some questions regarding bantam cochin color genetics. I recently hatched my first batch of chicks from my bantam pens.

Birchen cochin trio
Partridge silkie roo over 1 smooth red cochin and 1 frizzle red cochin (trying to get a partridge frizzle)

All 6 chicks that hatched are cochins. I have 3 black chicks, 2 blue chicks, and 1 partridge looking chick. I'm wondering where the heck that blue came from!!!! Does the birchen color not breed true? I'm not upset I have blues, but I am wondering genetically how that happened. I do not have any pictures of the chicks as they are free ranging with their mom, but I can get some if anyone would like to see.

Please let others chime in, but I can say that White is usually unpredictable!

Would love to see pics when you get a chance.

If you have any suggestions on websites or sheets I could print out on the chicken genetics that would be greatly appreciated!

I use this version of the genetics calculator:
http://www.breedbook.org/?action=geneticscalculator&tab=CHICKEN

It's the less complicated one. It does have the advanced tab if you want to change certain traits :)
This page also has some great info:

http://www.norcalchickens.com/chicken-color-genetics.html

A lot of my notes are from info I've got from using the genetics calculator :)

Birchen cochin trio 

Since Birchen is a pattern, it doesn't have any effect on the bird's base color. So your birchen x birchen pen should produce 100% birchen chicks.
Your Birchen rooster to solid black hens will give you 100% solid black offspring.

What I wonder is- is there any chance your white frizzle rooster could be a Splash frizzle?
Is there any chance this male could have got to other females and bred your black Birchen females or solid black females in the 4-5 weeks before you collected the eggs they hatched from? Other than those guesses, I'm stumped!

Since Birchen is a pattern, it doesn't have any effect on the bird's base color. So your birchen x birchen pen should produce 100% birchen chicks.
Your Birchen rooster to solid black hens will give you 100% solid black offspring.

What I wonder is- is there any chance your white frizzle rooster could be a Splash frizzle?
Is there any chance this male could have got to other females and bred your black Birchen females or solid black females in the 4-5 weeks before you collected the eggs they hatched from? Other than those guesses, I'm stumped!
The Birchen makes sense. There is a chance that my white frizzle roo is a splash, but there is pretty much no chance he bred any of the other females because I have them in separate runs and he doesn't go a-wandering. One of my black frizzle hens was the product of a black frizzle hen and the cochin roo in my avatar. Is there a chance he's a very dark blue and so is she?

I'm going to get pictures of the chicks in the morning and I can try and get one of the white frizzle roo and the "black" frizzle in question.

Also, I will note that every bantam I own besides the black frizzles came from Ideal. I cannot afford to buy hatching eggs that may or may not hatch (not a bash on breeders, just a statement on my finances) and there are no bantam cochin breeders that I have found near enough to me that I could buy live birds.

The Birchen makes sense. There is a chance that my white frizzle roo is a splash, but there is pretty much no chance he bred any of the other females because I have them in separate runs and he doesn't go a-wandering. One of my black frizzle hens was the product of a black frizzle hen and the cochin roo in my avatar. Is there a chance he's a very dark blue and so is she? 

I'm going to get pictures of the chicks in the morning and I can try and get one of the white frizzle roo and the "black" frizzle in question. 

Also, I will note that every bantam I own besides the black frizzles came from Ideal. I cannot afford to buy hatching eggs that may or may not hatch (not a bash on breeders, just a statement on my finances) and there are no bantam cochin breeders that I have found near enough to me that I could buy live birds.

You could have a very dark blue going on with your hens- if they are blue, you should see a darker shade in the hackles. With a black Birchen x solid blue hen you would get 50% black (solid) and 50% blue (solid) offspring.

If your white is possibly a splash, and he's definitely been only with your partridge hen, that cross will also produce blues. A splash bird has 2 copies of the blue gene which when bred to another color/pattern like partridge, gives the offspring 1 copy of Blue. Since blue is diluted black, and is dominant in that cross, your splash x partridge= blue. I'm sorry I didn't catch that possibility when I read through your post earlier. I have 4 kids running around and can rarely complete a thought without interruption lol.

I would think most of your Ideal hatchery birds should have the right body color as advertised. Where they will have their downside since they're being bred for numbers rather than Standard- is that things like shank / toes, or eyes can be the wrong color. They won't have a show quality body type- things like that.

That being said, I'm not one to bash hatchery birds. I support anyone who takes good care of their birds no matter where they came from!
1f600.png

I think both groups (show and backyard birds) both have an important place in the poultry world. I have chickens from both sides of the fence!

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your birds. Especially your White (or Splash) and the black hens. Hopefully we can help figure out what is going on with your chicks' colors
1f642.png

And these are my 13-week old silkie/cochin mixes. Blue frizzle bantam cochin roo, over white silkies

Pretty sure both of these are male

Daddy Armand in the center

One of the possible mommas

And I might just have to keep this one.
smile.png

Anyone have an opinion on male or female?

My bantam cuckoo cochin is broody!! :weee I'm going to move her and give her eggs tonight! My 3-week old bantam cochins. Barred male, black female, not positive on the sex of the blue. I love their little "chaps"
Yay! Have you decided on what eggs you're going to put under her yet? Aww the babies are adorable
1f600.png
Love your little rooster Armand- he's so cute!

Back
Top Bottom