Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Hi, I'm new here I have 3 Cochin chicks. They are only 3 weeks old but can anyone tell what kind of Cochin the one In the middle is going to be?

Hi! Very cute chicks you have there
1f642.png
I'm viewing this on my phone so it's kind of hard for me to tell, but it looks like possibly a Partridge to me :)

You could have a very dark blue going on with your hens- if they are blue, you should see a darker shade in the hackles. With a black Birchen x solid blue hen you would get 50% black (solid) and 50% blue (solid) offspring.

If your white is possibly a splash, and he's definitely been only with your partridge hen, that cross will also produce blues. A splash bird has 2 copies of the blue gene which when bred to another color/pattern like partridge, gives the offspring 1 copy of Blue. Since blue is diluted black, and is dominant in that cross, your splash x partridge= blue. I'm sorry I didn't catch that possibility when I read through your post earlier. I have 4 kids running around and can rarely complete a thought without interruption lol.

I would think most of your Ideal hatchery birds should have the right body color as advertised. Where they will have their downside since they're being bred for numbers rather than Standard- is that things like shank / toes, or eyes can be the wrong color. They won't have a show quality body type- things like that.

That being said, I'm not one to bash hatchery birds. I support anyone who takes good care of their birds no matter where they came from!
1f600.png

I think both groups (show and backyard birds) both have an important place in the poultry world. I have chickens from both sides of the fence!

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your birds. Especially your White (or Splash) and the black hens. Hopefully we can help figure out what is going on with your chicks' colors
1f642.png

Ok, I have pictures of Richard (the rooster) but not of the chicks yet. I have to get up before they are let out at like 6:30 and that's been difficult. I also got some pictures of a blue cochin hen I bought who looks more like a lavender or a splash to me. What do you think?

Here is Richard. The yellow color is from all the rain Texas has been getting!

The first picture also has Isabella (the partridge cochin). Here is the little hen that looks like a splash to me:

So, what do the experts think on these 2? Both splash? White and splash? White and lavender? I would love to know!

Ok, I have pictures of Richard (the rooster) but not of the chicks yet. I have to get up before they are let out at like 6:30 and that's been difficult. I also got some pictures of a blue cochin hen I bought who looks more like a lavender or a splash to me. What do you think? Here is Richard. The yellow color is from all the rain Texas has been getting! The first picture also has Isabella (the partridge cochin). Here is the little hen that looks like a splash to me: So, what do the experts think on these 2? Both splash? White and splash? White and lavender? I would love to know!
I'll start by saying I'm not an expert lol- and I'm looking at these on a phone so they look small, but your rooster looks like a white to me. So with white you can have dominant and recessive versions. If he's dominant white, you can often see white birds with some leakage of black color in the feathers (also in offspring). I would lean towards him being recessive white- which crossed with your partridge should give you solid black chicks. Weird, right?! How old is the new hen? I don't think she's a Blue- she looks too light to me. I see what looks like some darker splash-like markings and although she's got kind of a smokey look, I don't think she's lavender/self-blue. Unless they are very nice show quality, it's difficult to get those nice rounded feathers like she has on a lavender. So I'm going to go with Splash based on my tiny screen pic
1f600.png
Hopefully some others will jump in and offer their thoughts too
1f600.png

Ok, I have pictures of Richard (the rooster) but not of the chicks yet. I have to get up before they are let out at like 6:30 and that's been difficult. I also got some pictures of a blue cochin hen I bought who looks more like a lavender or a splash to me. What do you think?

Here is Richard. The yellow color is from all the rain Texas has been getting!

The first picture also has Isabella (the partridge cochin). Here is the little hen that looks like a splash to me:

So, what do the experts think on these 2? Both splash? White and splash? White and lavender? I would love to know!

I was thinking Blue, but after reading Laurel's reply, I tend to agree with her. White and splash. Of course, a molt could change those feathers. Could end up more splash, or all the feathers could come back more solid... I believe.

Edit to add, they are all gorgeous! Love the boy!

I'll start by saying I'm not an expert lol- and I'm looking at these on a phone so they look small, but your rooster looks like a white to me. So with white you can have dominant and recessive versions. If he's dominant white, you can often see white birds with some leakage of black color in the feathers (also in offspring). I would lean towards him being recessive white- which crossed with your partridge should give you solid black chicks. Weird, right?!

How old is the new hen? I don't think she's a Blue- she looks too light to me. I see what looks like some darker splash-like markings and although she's got kind of a smokey look, I don't think she's lavender/self-blue. Unless they are very nice show quality, it's difficult to get those nice rounded feathers like she has on a lavender. So I'm going to go with Splash based on my tiny screen pic
1f600.png

Hopefully some others will jump in and offer their thoughts too
1f600.png

Last edited:
The little hen is about 3 months old. She's definitely more white looking than blue. I'm excited for her first molt, just to see what happens!

So if my rooster is white, where did the blue chicks come from? I should be able to get pictures in the morning. I can also get a picture of the questionable black frizzle. She's molting and broody, so I'm not sure it will be the best picture.

The little hen is about 3 months old. She's definitely more white looking than blue. I'm excited for her first molt, just to see what happens!

So if my rooster is white, where did the blue chicks come from? I should be able to get pictures in the morning. I can also get a picture of the questionable black frizzle. She's molting and broody, so I'm not sure it will be the best picture.

She's very pretty!
1f642.png

Well back to your blue mystery baby lol, I'm at a loss unless your black hen is a really dark blue by chance. Poor gal- broody and molting!

I am not great with genetics but I believe that the blue is a recessive trait and potentially both parents must have the recessive gene for it to pop out. Maybe someone else who is more a color expert will chime in.

Blue gene is not recessive, two doses of Blues gives you splash, 1 Blue gene + 1 Black gene gives you a Blue bird. This EE hen has Blue where the black should be on the lacing so she is caring both genes plus tons of other color genetics...

So Blue carrier + Black bird gets you Blue & Blacks, but a Blue + a Blue gives you black, blues and splash birds.
smile.png
That's is about all I know.

Back
Top Bottom