Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Hey guys! I hatched some bantam cochins that were 'possibly' a mix with frizzles...but it seems like none of them are frizzled.
I'll take pics tomorrow so you can tell me, these are my first, and I thought a few were, but now I think they are just fluffy. lol
Either way, I'd need a cockerel or pullets from another line to breed them.

I thought I'd seen someone GREAT (a breeder who sells eggs/chicks) mentioned on this thread, or maybe another thread about bantam cochins.
I also thought it was a state near Texas? (OK, Arkansas, Tennessee?)

Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys!  I hatched some bantam cochins that were 'possibly' a mix with frizzles...but it seems like none of them are frizzled.
I'll take pics tomorrow so you can tell me,  these are my first, and I thought a few were, but now I think they are just fluffy. lol
Either way, I'd need a cockerel or pullets from another line to breed them.

I thought I'd seen someone GREAT (a breeder who sells eggs/chicks) mentioned on this thread, or maybe another thread about bantam cochins.
I also thought it was a state near Texas?  (OK, Arkansas, Tennessee?)

Thanks in advance!!

Frizzle gene is only 50/50...
However do not breed frizzle to frizzle
Bad
Bad
Bad.

Frizzle gene is only 50/50...
However do not breed frizzle to frizzle
Bad
Bad
Bad.

Do you have any scientific proof to back that up? I did some research on it and many folks do it without any issues. Maybe lower hatch rates, because they sometimes die without hatching, but some hatch without any problems. I'm not promoting it, and I haven't tried it yet, and will do more research before I do, but from what I've found so far, it's still debatable.

Frizzle to frizzle breeding creates frazzles. Their feather are brittle and break off easily. Mine was almost bald before the end of summer.

Do you have any scientific proof to back that up? I did some research on it and many folks do it without any issues. Maybe lower hatch rates, because they sometimes die without hatching, but some hatch without any problems. I'm not promoting it, and I haven't tried it yet, and will do more research before I do, but from what I've found so far, it's still debatable.

I agree with you @wvduckchick based on my research. With frizzle x frizzle, offspring would be 50% typical looking frizzle feathering, 25% frazzle or homozygous, and 25% smooth offspring. (For those folks reading this who may not know-the homozygous frizzle aka frazzle produces sparse or brittle feathers resulting in exposed skin that can become easily sunburned and create problems for the bird to cool itself and keep warm. Frazzle hens in with a rooster would likely be injured often.) I think there would definitely be quality of life issues with these things alone, but according to some research I've seen, a normal heterozygous frizzle can supposedly have higher body temperatures and enlarged internal organs and decreased fertility or delayed point of lay. I've not personally seen these issues crop up in my normal frizzle birds, and haven't seen these complaints in general about frizzles. For frazzle birds I assume that there could be a greater risk of the internal issues because there are 2 copies of the frizzle gene.
There is also a frizzle modifier gene that can mask frizzle and/or frazzle traits entirely which I though was interesting. This link has a ton of info on all sorts of traits but if you scroll down you'll find it :). http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html
Like you, I haven't bred frizzle to frizzle either and most likely won't because I can get 50% frizzles with a smooth x frizzle cross without the risk
1f642.png

This is my first "sizzle" - the hen is a white Bantam Cochin Frizzle. The Roo is black show Bantam Silkie. Do you think the feathers will be frizzled? Looks like the chick is a light partridge color.
I would think it will remain smooth. Usually at this point you will see curling. This one is less than a week old.
X2 Looks like a smooth. It's a cutie!

Back
Top Bottom