Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

@Marthab1953 Beautiful flock you have with such a variety
love.gif

Last edited:
Hi! Im still very new to having chicks, I have one silkie and 3 bantam Cochin mixes that are about 5.5 weeks old. I'm really having a hard time deciding when to move them outside since it's so close to winter I'm thinking I should now or soon so it won't be such a climate change for them. This week the high is from 45-72 and low ranging from 27-50 I'm in southern Indiana. I was thinking maybe for the first week or so doing the coop during the day and brining them back into the garage at night?! Or when should I move them outside?

I'm also really worried about using a heat lamp in coop since my coop is pretty tiny. It's this one from tractor supply http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-pet-orb-country-classic-coop
And we are building at 6'x3.5' run off of it (is that large enough for 4 small chickens?) The coop is small on the inside having a lamp in there worries me but I also know since my chicks are so small they probably can't handle the cold as well. Advice please!!!

Last edited:
Hi! Im still very new to having chicks, I have one silkie and 3 bantam Cochin mixes that are about 5.5 weeks old. I'm really having a hard time deciding when to move them outside since it's so close to winter I'm thinking I should now or soon so it won't be such a climate change for them. This week the high is from 45-72 and low ranging from 27-50 I'm in southern Indiana. I was thinking maybe for the first week or so doing the coop during the day and brining them back into the garage at night?! Or when should I move them outside?

I'm also really worried about using a heat lamp in coop since my coop is pretty tiny. It's this one from tractor supply http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-pet-orb-country-classic-coop
And we are building at 6'x3.5' run off of it (is that large enough for 4 small chickens?) The coop is small on the inside having a lamp in there worries me but I also know since my chicks are so small they probably can't handle the cold as well. Advice please!!!

I have a similar coop that I use for raising chicks from about 2-3 weeks till they outgrow it, depending on size and number of chicks. I screwed a J hook in the peak, ran one of the small heat lamp hoods thru the vent panel, and used a plant grow bulb in it. Much less riskier than a full heat lamp, but provided plenty of heat in that small area. I now use a Brinsea plate brooder, but the small lamp worked fine for me.
Size-wise, it should be fine for 4 chicks for several weeks. It will also get them used to going inside at night.

I have a similar coop that I use for raising chicks from about 2-3 weeks till they outgrow it, depending on size and number of chicks. I screwed a J hook in the peak, ran one of the small heat lamp hoods thru the vent panel, and used a plant grow bulb in it. Much less riskier than a full heat lamp, but provided plenty of heat in that small area. I now use a Brinsea plate brooder, but the small lamp worked fine for me.
Size-wise, it should be fine for 4 chicks for several weeks. It will also get them used to going inside at night.

Do you happen to have a picture of how you had your lamp set up? Also, this is my perm any coop we are just adding the run is that what you meant by it would be okay for several weeks?!?! Please don't tell me I'm going to need a new coop, my husband is already complaining about all the work I'm having him do!!!

Do you happen to have a picture of how you had your lamp set up? Also, this is my perm any coop we are just adding the run is that what you meant by it would be okay for several weeks?!?! Please don't tell me I'm going to need a new coop, my husband is already complaining about all the work I'm having him do!!!

I'm sorry! I thought you had more chickens and this was just for young ones. It will be fine for just 4!!
smile.png
(just beware of chicken math!!)
big_smile.png
Will you be able to let them out to forage around some?

These pre-fab coops are the best built things, so be aware that rain and snow will tear them up quicker.

I apologize for the spider webs in the pic, I'm not using this right now, as I don't have any young one that are not with their mommas, so it is empty at the moment.... well, apparently the spiders like it... hahaha!

Here's another option -- I saw these the other day, and have NOT ordered one yet, so I can't tell from experience, but I think I'll be ordering one of these. I love the Brinsea plate brooder, but I need another one, and the Brinsea's are pricey!

https://www.wayfair.com/KandH-Manufacturing-Thermo-Peep-Heated-Pad-2160-KHM1350.html
same thing thru Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHK375E/?tag=backy-20

Last edited:
Deff looks to be male

Well didn't want to risk it and took ya all up in on it being a roo and he is now in a new home I'll miss him . But now this is my frizzle new friend Chossy Jade a pet quality showgirl. About a year old her and spazzy are getting along but spazzy 8 mo. Is pecking better today the third day and am hoping she stops. Chossy just takes it she is so quite cuddles like a puppy so sweet I seriously have never seen a chicken so tame and my frizzle is pretty tame. But a for sure pullat third time finding a friend a charm.

I'm sorry! I thought you had more chickens and this was just for young ones. It will be fine for just 4!! :) (just beware of chicken math!!) :D Will you be able to let them out to forage around some? These pre-fab coops are the best built things, so be aware that rain and snow will tear them up quicker. I apologize for the spider webs in the pic, I'm not using this right now, as I don't have any young one that are not with their mommas, so it is empty at the moment.... well, apparently the spiders like it... hahaha! Here's another option -- I saw these the other day, and have NOT ordered one yet, so I can't tell from experience, but I think I'll be ordering one of these. I love the Brinsea plate brooder, but I need another one, and the Brinsea's are pricey! https://www.wayfair.com/KandH-Manufacturing-Thermo-Peep-Heated-Pad-2160-KHM1350.html same thing thru Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Thermo-Peep-Heated-9-Inch-12-Inch/dp/B00JHK375E
Very helpful thank you for the photos and links!! Did you put your light on a timer and just have it on during the nighttime? Is that much white light okay for them? I have a few more questions where exactly do I Put their food and water? The actual inside of the coop seems too small would it be okay next to the ramp? Also would one of the cookie tin heaters be okay there since it's not completely inside just has a roof over it?! Last question I do close the door at the top of the ramp each night right?! Sorry I'm such a beginner!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom