Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Very helpful thank you for the photos and links!! Did you put your light on a timer and just have it on during the nighttime? Is that much white light okay for them?

I have a few more questions where exactly do I Put their food and water? The actual inside of the coop seems too small would it be okay next to the ramp? Also would one of the cookie tin heaters be okay there since it's not completely inside just has a roof over it?!
Last question I do close the door at the top of the ramp each night right?! Sorry I'm such a beginner!

@sunnie7 one of the best things about BYC is helping the beginners!
hugs.gif

The light overnight is one of the reasons that I switched to the plate brooder. The chicks actually seem to like the light, but in my opinion, they need the dark sleep time too. So its a toss-up. But once they are fully feathered, you really won't need it. Chickens are much tougher than we sometimes think. They will generate plenty of body warmth in the top of that coop.

I have not used the cookie tins (my husband didn't like the idea) Closing the door is up to you. If they don't want to stay inside at night, you can close them in and they usually learn its where they are supposed to go. And if you have any worries about any predators, it is probably best to close it... plus, closing it will hold the heat in better. But otherwise, it can be left open.

I put food and water underneath the boxed-in part. I don't think there is a "right" place to put it. It kinda depends on how messy they are with it, where is convenient for you to re-fill, and clean, etc. You want them all to be able to gather around it, so they don't fight over one spot. So you may try different places to see what works best. I wouldn't put the food inside the top part though. Especially if they will always live there, the top will be where they will sleep and lay their eggs. Keep the food somewhere down on the ground. I do put food in the top when they are tiny and before they can go up and down the ladder, but that doesn't last long at all.

Have to show this pic. This was before I moved that coop outside (yes, it was sitting in my dining room for 4 weeks!! lol)
I had ducklings in the bottom, and chicks in the top... lol

@sunnie7 one of the best things about BYC is helping the beginners!
hugs.gif

The light overnight is one of the reasons that I switched to the plate brooder. The chicks actually seem to like the light, but in my opinion, they need the dark sleep time too. So its a toss-up. But once they are fully feathered, you really won't need it. Chickens are much tougher than we sometimes think. They will generate plenty of body warmth in the top of that coop.

I have not used the cookie tins (my husband didn't like the idea) Closing the door is up to you. If they don't want to stay inside at night, you can close them in and they usually learn its where they are supposed to go. And if you have any worries about any predators, it is probably best to close it... plus, closing it will hold the heat in better. But otherwise, it can be left open.

I put food and water underneath the boxed-in part. I don't think there is a "right" place to put it. It kinda depends on how messy they are with it, where is convenient for you to re-fill, and clean, etc. You want them all to be able to gather around it, so they don't fight over one spot. So you may try different places to see what works best. I wouldn't put the food inside the top part though. Especially if they will always live there, the top will be where they will sleep and lay their eggs. Keep the food somewhere down on the ground. I do put food in the top when they are tiny and before they can go up and down the ladder, but that doesn't last long at all.

Have to show this pic. This was before I moved that coop outside (yes, it was sitting in my dining room for 4 weeks!! lol)
I had ducklings in the bottom, and chicks in the top... lol
Love the pic WV!

Anybody know of some reasonable chicken coops??
Honestly, a chicken coop can be just about anything. The most important factors are safety of the birds and giving them a place to get out of the weather. I think there is a coop thread on BYC that has a lot of ideas or you can google chicken coops and get all kinds of ideas. Keep an eye on craigslist and the paper for people getting rid of things. If you are handy, pallets and old storage buildings are great to start a coop. They may not be as pretty as the ones in Southern Living but the chickens don't care!
wink.png

Hey everyone,
I am in Florence South Carolina and I am looking for calico/ millie fluer bantam cochins in SC. Anybody know of a breeder in the area?
Thanks

Can anyone tell me what this might be on a Frazel not frizzle I am aware of issues that can come from this type of bird but please he is a sweet hart and noticed this the other day on his tail feather rump area kinda brown he is white so thought dirty looking more and the more I looked feathers were comingout in my hand a little also could see what looked like swollen cushions and bloody ones this is the best picture I could get

This again right at the last feathers on his back intertwined in with is rump feathers

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what this might be on a Frazel not frizzle I am aware of issues that can come from this type of bird but please he is a sweet hart and noticed this the other day on his tail feather rump area kinda brown he is white so thought dirty looking more and the more I looked feathers were comingout in my hand a little also could see what looked like swollen cushions and bloody ones this is the best picture I could get
I can't tell much by the photo, could be the oil gland and some pin feathers, is it molting or being picked on?

After looking at your picture more I can see pin feathers coming in with the feather sheath encasing them, so yes its from molting.

Back
Top Bottom