Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Hi. I'm new to chicken breeding and have several beautiful birds, several breeds including Silkies and Cochin. I have a question about breeding Sizzles or frizzles; I have a Black Cochin Hen whom I've unsuccessfully searched for a matching mate. I recently found a black Silkie Roo, he's so pretty
2764.png
Anyway, my question is if I breed the Black Silkie Roo with the Black Cochin Hen, what will my results likely be?

Hi. I'm new to chicken breeding and have several beautiful birds, several breeds including Silkies and Cochin. I have a question about breeding Sizzles or frizzles; I have a Black Cochin Hen whom I've unsuccessfully searched for a matching mate. I recently found a black Silkie Roo, he's so pretty
2764.png
Anyway, my question is if I breed the Black Silkie Roo with the Black Cochin Hen, what will my results likely be?
Welcome to BYC! And congrats on your birds. I am not a breeding expert but I think for a Sizzle you need one of the birds to already be frizzled. Frizzles simply have the curly feathers. It is widely stated that you never breed two frizzles together due to the chance of having a bird with extreemly brittle feathers.

Even with a pairing of frizzle to smooth, you will get a portion of each in the offspring.

With the silkie x cochin paring, you will potentially get a cochin type bird with silkie feathers, a silkie type bird with cochin feathers and a couple of ones who are something in between. (I think).

Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to BYC! And congrats on your birds. I am not a breeding expert but I think for a Sizzle you need one of the birds to already be frizzled. Frizzles simply have the curly feathers. It is widely stated that you never breed two frizzles together due to the chance of having a bird with extreemly brittle feathers.

Even with a pairing of frizzle to smooth, you will get a portion of each in the offspring.

With the silkie x cochin paring, you will potentially get a cochin type bird with silkie feathers, a silkie type bird with cochin feathers and a couple of ones who are something in between. (I think).

Good luck and have fun.

x2

I will also add that black x black will be 100% black offspring.

Anyone with fizzles who don't show trim around shaft? She should start to lay soon and I was watching a video and they suggested it to keep clean and to help stop any infection? Her feathers are so full she has a full silkie feathered butt big butt lol and would rather not. Any thoughts??

Of all my fluffy bottom birds, the cochins are the cleanest. I've never even considered trimming any of them.

Wish I could say the same about my lav orps. :/

Back
Top Bottom