Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Oh no, not more adorable chick pictures? Or are you looking for breakfast. I only eat my bantam cochin eggs, all others stink to me.

Chicks! Chicks! :D

I did hatch 2 last week.

which do you prefer: hen with the frizzle gene or roo with the frizzle gene to get a better turn out on frizzled chicks?

I am not a genetics expert but I don't think that it matters. You still have the same percentage chance either way to get the frizzle. I would look more for the other qualities that you want in the bird and pick the best combination based on that.

That being said, if you have a frizzled roo he can cover several smooth girls and all the girls have a chance of hatching some frizzled chicks.

If you have a smooth roo and only one frizzled hen, then you will only have the chance of the chicks from her being frizzled.

So, if you are looking to hatch a lot, probably the roo will give you the most bang for your buck.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
What color is the one on the left? Adorable of course.

Supposed to be calico/mille. Anxious to see how it grows out.

By the way, I found out the black one isn't a cochin. I got Serama and cochin eggs, and the black chick came from an egg marked as a Serama, but it has feathered legs, so I put it in with the cochin. But it isn't plump like the cochin! So then I found out that booted seramas exist and are accepted too. Not sure i want that gene in with my seramas, but will wait and see how it grows out.

which do you prefer: hen with the frizzle gene or roo with the frizzle gene to get a better turn out on frizzled chicks?

I went the smooth roo route. Like PF said, it depends on your goals. 50/50 chance of frizzle with one of the pair being frizzled.

This is leia, I am not naming any favorites in the coop *cough cough* leia. Believe it or not I adopted her from the poultry sanctuary I volunteer at in southern California. Someone droped her off in a box on the front porch and as soon as I laid eyes on her I knew she was mine.

Ok I have a question. I have a close friend of mine who has a frizzle white roo and a black frizzle roo. She offered to let me borrow a roo for breeding purposes for next years chick season...
Which rooster do you guys think I should breed with leia?

Ok I have a question. I have a close friend of mine who has a frizzle white roo and a black frizzle roo. She offered to let me borrow a roo for breeding purposes for next years chick season...
Which rooster do you guys think I should breed with leia?
I would breed with the black one as the chicks would be 50% black and 50% blue

Back
Top Bottom