Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Got a few new pics

3 weeks old. Not sure if calico or mille?

Blue frizzled bearded

Blue

George - mottled

One of my black girls

Thank you. Here are the photos!! The first one is the aggressor. Second is the other for sure cockerel. Third and fourth are "not sures" fifth, the black one, I'm pretty sure is a pullet. Since the father is a black silkie, that one could just be a late developer too. Hope we have at least 1 pullet.

Sure appreciate your feedback. - all hatched one day apart. A silkie started sitting on them once the bantam fizzled cochin started laying them - one day at a time. So hatch # 1 is 5 or 6 days older than hatch # 5.

#1 - first hatched - white flat feathered sizzle cockerel (the pecker)

# 2 - second hatched - white frizzled feather sizzle cockerel

# 3 - third hatched - partridge with walnut comb - hoping a pullet, fearing a cockerel

# 4 - fourth hatched - black pullet

# 5 - fifth hatched - partridge with single comb

Last edited:
Dawn, I also hatched some silkie/cochin mixes this past summer. They took a while to sex also (although a couple crowed very early), but personally, I'm leaning toward all of yours being cockerels. :( the black, I think, is your best pullet chance. Those other combs are pretty red. :/

Maybe full body profile pics might help?

Also, male silkies get "streamers", like thinner, longer feathers from the back of the head, or around the tail. Do any of them have anything like that?

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for the response. I've had silkies for about 6 years - for sure no expert. Though I've had pet chickens for almost 26 years - just one or two at a time. These chicks are the product of my silkie cockerel who was supposed to be a pullet. I purchased 3 chicks from a breeder hoping to get 1 pullet. I ended up with 3 cockerels - kept one and returned the other 2 to the breeder. The one I kept is 9 months old now and the "father" of these chicks. I've seen the streamers and don't see any at this point - even on the two for sure cockerels.

Gosh - bummer if I have 4 more cockerels. Ugh. Sigh. Bummer. Hoping the little black one is a pullet.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Dawn

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for the response.   I've had silkies for about 6 years - for sure no expert.  Though I've had pet chickens for almost 26 years - just one or two at a time.   These chicks are the product of my silkie cockerel who was supposed to be a pullet.  I purchased 3 chicks from a breeder hoping to get 1 pullet.  I ended up with 3 cockerels - kept one and returned the other 2 to the breeder.  The one I kept is 9 months old now and the "father" of these chicks.   I've seen the streamers and don't see any at this point - even on the two for sure cockerels.

Gosh - bummer if I have 4 more cockerels.   Ugh.  Sigh.  Bummer.   Hoping the little black one is a pullet.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! 

Dawn

I'm not sure if my mixes had the streamers or not (my poor silkies were very low quality anyway), I actually sold them all fairly young, but thought it was worth a mention. Just in case.

You sound like quite a cockerel magnet! :D but odds say you will eventually get a pullet. I scrolled back and saw your male. He's very pretty!!

Natalie- I am plagued by cockerels.

I rescued two neighbor hood chickens about 4 years ago. Had three eggs hatch from them, 2 cockerels, 1 pullet. The pullet grew up and we hatched 3 eggs from her - all three cockerels.

Then I lost one of my three old silkie hens so I set out to get a replacement - that is where the three show silkie cockerells came in. So, out of those 9 chicks, ended up with 1 pullet.

Now, out of 5 chicks I have 1 pullet again.....all I have to say is.....NOT FAIR

Roo Pooh is my great little guy. Love him. Sweet sweet sweet rooster. Can't complain. I tuck him under my arm and let him meet house guests and tote him around. He just goes with it. So, I did get a really nice little guy out of the deal. Though I don't need or want roosters.....sigh

A pic would be great, but blue should not have any gold leakage. Maybe its wheaten or partridge?
Eek! I am just now getting pictures up! I am so sorry, it's been a crazy week. The first few pictures are of the frizzle rooster. His name is George :)

I have no idea what his color is. He is a dark blue/black all over with the gold on his neck, back, and wings.

Here are my other bantam pens, just for fun
smile.png
They are all hatchery birds (Except the unknown colored frizzle rooster and the sizzle hen) but are still pretty!

White frizzle/Partridge pen

Red and Red Frizzle

Birchen male/black or blue sizzle hen (and also my other rooster)

Blue pen

Birchen pen

I sure do love my cochins! I have 6 pens set up (one has silkies) that are 3.5 by ~12 feet. Each pen has a mini A-frame coop and their own water container. Pretty neat setup, huh? It allows me to have pure-bred birds for customers.

Last edited:
Please help 911 know she had mites never saw then but dusted cut away feathers so I could treat this after math was scabby and oh so red it liija better I have been putting Neosporin non pain in on it and also altername with water down iodine should I think about antibiotic please help she is still eat and drink

Back
Top Bottom