Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Question: is there a blue or lavender Cochin??? And how would you come up with the color?

Yes, there are blue and lavender. Blues are part of the blue/black/splash pool. There are multiple ways to achieve blue. This chart might help.

Lavender is totally different. Lavenders must have 2 copies of the lavender gene to look lavender. They can carry one copy and still pass it on to offspring, but they will look visually black - that's called a split. Mating a split back to another lavender can produce lavenders, or more splits.

Another question: if you breed a barred Cochin with a black what will the chicks be? Black?

Barring is a sex-link gene, so it depends which parent is barred. There is also double-barred or single-barred in males, females are either barred or not.

Double barred male X barred female - offspring are double barred males, and barred females
Single barred male X barred female - 25% double barred males, 25% single barred males, 25% barred females, 25% solid females
Double barred male X solid female - Single barred males, barred females
Single barred male X solid female - 25% single barred males, 25% barred females, 50% solid
Solid male x barred female - All males single barred; All females are solid. Males will show a white patch on their heads when they hatch.

Have to share the beautiful chicks i hatched yesterday. 3 blues, 2 splash, and 1 black.

Have a question: can two frizzled parents have a chick that grows up to be smooth feathered? As far as I know that couldn't happen?? It would develope a double frizzled chicken.

Have a question: can two frizzled parents have a chick that grows up to be smooth feathered? As far as I know that couldn't happen?? It would develope a double frizzled chicken.

My understanding is yes they can have smooth offspring. I believe frizzle x frizzle = 50% frizzle, 25% smooth, 25% frazzle/double frizzle.

Th
Thank you! And you're welcome lol. Yes those prefab coops are pretty thin from the ones I've seen anyway. You guys might like the foam board insulation for those- that way when you cover it up you aren't losing a lot of interior space.
One thing we found really useful for tight spaces like that is lauan plywood- you can get it 1/8" thick and it will cover up your insulation without making the coop really heavy to move
smile.png

Thanks! I think we may go with that! As much as we would LOVE to build a coop from scratch...I am a bit worried we won't get it done in time and will have ALL our chickens living inside..LOL! One more question? We are wondering if it is better to get a raised coop with run area underneath or coop built on the ground with run attached? Either way I know we will add on more run space than the prefab kits provide so they are happy when we can't let them roam freely
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom