Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pure Cochins or mixes?

I'm gonna say silkie mixes. Combs should be straight single combs. Do I see beards? Are their legs/toes black? Count number of toes.

I say "Sizzles" - an intentional mixing of silkie to bantam cochin. The head tuff and feathered legs are telling. Here is a picture of my young sizzle pullet - 4 months old. She has 5 toes, black skin, blue ear lobe, walnut comb - basically what you are trying to get with sizzles. She is my first attempt at breeding sizzles. My current hatch - same cross (but a different rooster), 2 of them came out with 4 toes and light skin darn it. So, just because it is a silkie/cochin cross does not guarantee 5 toes.

Last edited:
I say "Sizzles" - an intentional mixing of silkie to bantam cochin. The head tuff and feathered legs are telling. Here is a picture of my young sizzle pullet - 4 months old. She has 5 toes, black skin, blue ear lobe, walnut comb - basically what you are trying to get with sizzles. She is my first attempt at breeding sizzles. My current hatch - same cross (but a different rooster), 2 of them came out with 4 toes and light skin darn it. So, just because it is a silkie/cochin cross does not guarantee 5 toes.

True! I crossed a few. About half had walnut combs, about half straight. Most did have dark skin, but very few had 5 toes.

How are your babies doing Dawn?

Hi WV - thanks for asking. They are fabulous!! Really thought I'd have more sizzle feathers due to how long their baby down was. I have one frizzled feather. Two are sparing already - am guessing they are boys. The frizzled feathered one spars a tad bit too. One just runs from the sparing so am guessing that may be my only pullet. She has 5 toes and the only one with black skin - fingers crossed she is a she.

Of all things, my old broody silkie is sitting on 3 eggs - same parents. The incubator is unplugged.

I was reading something that if you lower the temp in the incubator you have better chances of girls. If your heat is a little high, you have more chances of boys. What say you?

The light one on the perch is my assumed pullet. The frizzled feather on the right side of perch - worried it is a boy but it is smaller. It has 5 toes. The two standing on the left side of the perch - one if the front is first hatch so it is 4 days older than the standing one behind it that is kinda a peach color. Those two with their faces together are the ones that have been sparing.

My husband made them this baby perch. The love it and fly over it like little agility chicks.

So cute!! Nice setup too. I've found that the girls like to spar too, when they are that young, so don't count them out yet.
wink.png

For what my opinion is worth (probably less than 2 cents lol) I think the heat thing producing boys is an old wives tale. Might work in reptile eggs, but not in chickens. Same with egg shape. Some swear pointy eggs are males, round eggs are females. But I haven't been convinced.

Best of luck with the broody silkie. Most say that silkies are broody machines, but others say they can't find their way out of a wet paper bag. Hopefully yours is a good one.
tongue.png

OH -- I transferred 11 cochin eggs last night (along with 8 seramas) to the hatcher. Got up this morning and found the temp at 104. If that didn't kill them, hopefully I'll have some cute chicks by Friday/Saturday!

Great info WV - thank you.

Good luck on your hatch - wow 104 - I bet your heart sank!! You'll have to post this weekend and let us all know what happened.

My chick # 1 has a beak issue. The lower mantle doesn't line up with the upper mantle. It needs braces. Guess it will be okay. Have never seen that before. Any suggestions or tips?

Back
Top Bottom