Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Quote:
I have a "Columbian" chick very much like yours. She came from a Mille Fleur and Black Mottle cross. I'll get some pics up soon.
Also, this chick was solid white when she was hatched. It was very startling when I found her under her "mom".

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a "Columbian" chick very much like yours. She came from a Mille Fleur and Black Mottle cross. I'll get some pics up soon.
Also, this chick was solid white when she was hatched. It was very startling when I found her under her "mom".

MJ,
the Millie pattern requires the columbian gene, and pattern. this all based on wheaton at the e-locus. so I am not really surprised that a columbian would appear from teh Millie, although Buff Columbian would be more common.

Quote:
Nancy, I think it's a safe bet that the Partridge is not involved - if it were, I think you'd see some Gold leakage.

Makes sense Gail, but HOW did I get a Columbian from two Birchens? Doesn't that seem odd to you? I'd love to know what kind of tweaking of the alleles nature had to do to pull this off.

Quote:
What males where the potential fathers? It looks as though you may have another poorly colored columbian there too. The Partridge is the most likely suspect of teh mother as teh addition of silver wheaton to partridge will result in columbian patterns, although you can also get there from silver laced, and barred crossed with the correct white or silver pencilled.

Quote:
Nancy, I think it's a safe bet that the Partridge is not involved - if it were, I think you'd see some Gold leakage.

Makes sense Gail, but HOW did I get a Columbian from two Birchens? Doesn't that seem odd to you? I'd love to know what kind of tweaking of the alleles nature had to do to pull this off.

You should only see the gold leakage if it were a male, What was used in the Cochin to create the "Birchen" appearance? Was it silver laced over black? or did someone actually bring the birchen allelle in from another breed?

Quote:
What males where the potential fathers? It looks as though you may have another poorly colored columbian there too. The Partridge is the most likely suspect of teh mother as teh addition of silver wheaton to partridge will result in columbian patterns, although you can also get there from silver laced, and barred crossed with the correct white or silver pencilled.

I don't have my birds mixed in a community flock. There is only one potential cross with each variety. They are one Birchen roo with three Birchen hens and one Partridge roo with 4 Partridge hens. They are separate in their own runs with absolutely NO chance of a mix up. The only fly in the ointment is one of the Birchen hens is "split" to mottled. I got her and the roo from a very well known breeder who will remain nameless. Upon arrival she appeared to be a beautiful Birchen pullet (my avatar). Some time later she began to display mottling and ultimately came to appear to be more of a mottled hen than Birchen. I have a cockerel from the batch that the Columbian is in, and I'm sure he is out of her. He's a mess, colorwise. Great type, but a real mess in his coloring.
This is him:
emmasboy.jpg

Nancy

To clear things up, here are the parents:
george-024.jpg

george-032.jpg

This is the Birchen hen that is the mother of the "messy" Birchen cockerel
birchenpullet.jpg

These are the other two hens that are potential mothers.
pullets2.jpg

Sorry the pic of my Birchen hens isn't a very good one. Their color is very correct and clear. Any appearance of mottling or off color on their body is sheen on the feathers.

I'm am in too ! as I am also new the the bantam cochins. I hatched 6 blues and one black chick about 3 weeks ago and have 14 black and molttled eggs in the incubator due to hatch on Aug 26. now to figure out how/when and where to sell them. Thanks to Roselyn Pickens, and Elaine Hale, I have quite the variety of colors to play around with. blue mottled, blue, black, black mottled, lavender, splash frizzle and mille fleur, patridage, red and 2 whites.

Thanks

Loiseee
located in SW Arkansas

Quote:
I wish you the best of luck, you will have to talk to the breeder you got your birds from and ask what was used to "create" your birchens. I think you will be in for a surprise and more of the columbian patterned chicks.
I will say they have nice type and look to have good feather quality.

Back
Top Bottom