Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the answers...:rolleyes:

Does anyone have a picture of a black tailed red cochin? I have googled and found nothing except a written description.
Is the red a mahogany color? And are all the tail feathers black or certain ones?

Thank you for any help on this,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the answers...
roll.png

Does anyone have a picture of a black tailed red cochin? I have googled and found nothing except a written description.
Is the red a mahogany color? And are all the tail feathers black or certain ones?

Thank you for any help on this,

I believe if the variety still exists, they are few and far between, and probably more accidental than anything. LOL I had one roo that was what I would qualify as a btr, but lost him before my red girls matured. he also was not the mahogany red, just a normal red... but it is a variety I plan to work on should the chance arise.
this is the roo I had... and a couple of the girls I have now...

Last edited:
as for what the standard calls for, I'd suggest looking at the SOP for the variety. I don't have it with me at the moment so can't say for sure.

I'm new to chickens in general. But I got a buff Cochin roo in my order from mcmurray and we've absolutely fallen in love with him. In fact my husband is currently playing guitar for him, the poor guy got his wattle ripped by an unappreciative hen yesterday. Could any one direct me to some quality breeders for more Cochins? I prefer the large size, not into bantams. Thanks!

I'm new to chickens in general. But I got a buff Cochin roo in my order from mcmurray and we've absolutely fallen in love with him. In fact my husband is currently playing guitar for him, the poor guy got his wattle ripped by an unappreciative hen yesterday. Could any one direct me to some quality breeders for more Cochins? I prefer the large size, not into bantams. Thanks!

it would help to know where you are located... also the cochins international website has some breeder ads. there is also a CI facebook page as well.

if you're seriously interested in cochins, I would recommend joining Cochins International for the wide variety of resources available to members.

Hey all, not sure how relevant this is but Grant Brereton has a conference about genetics coming up soon in the USA. I love his book and refer to it quite a bit. Details below

This is just a quick email to remind you that I am holding a Poultry Genetics Seminar in Morganton, NC, on
March 15, 2014.

Places are limited to 50 people and are already filling up fast.

For further details, please see: http://www.sustainablepoultrynetwork.com/event/genetics-workshop-understanding-poultry-genetics-the-key-to-successful-breeding-morganton-nc/

Cost & registration: Seating is LIMITED to (50) people!
Registration includes training materials and lunch: $99.00 for PRE-registration due by Friday, March 7th, 2014. After March 7th (if any seats are left) the registration fee is $129.00. Register on-line: http://www.sustainablepoultrynetwork.com/workshops-seminars/ PLEASE NOTE REGISTRATION CAN ONLY BE DONE ONLINE!

For more information, contact: [email protected] or call 209.890.5326.

** Did you know that my paperback Breeding For Success has now sold over 200 copies from here alone, and is also available as an E-book? www.gbpoultry.com

Apologies if you got this email and you are in the UK.

All the best for the season

Hey all, not sure how relevant this is but Grant Brereton has a conference about genetics coming up soon in the USA. I love his book and refer to it quite a bit. Details below

This is just a quick email to remind you that I am holding a Poultry Genetics Seminar in Morganton, NC, on
March 15, 2014.

Places are limited to 50 people and are already filling up fast.

For further details, please see: http://www.sustainablepoultrynetwork.com/event/genetics-workshop-understanding-poultry-genetics-the-key-to-successful-breeding-morganton-nc/

Cost & registration: Seating is LIMITED to (50) people!
Registration includes training materials and lunch: $99.00 for PRE-registration due by Friday, March 7th, 2014. After March 7th (if any seats are left) the registration fee is $129.00. Register on-line: http://www.sustainablepoultrynetwork.com/workshops-seminars/ PLEASE NOTE REGISTRATION CAN ONLY BE DONE ONLINE!

For more information, contact: [email protected] or call 209.890.5326.

** Did you know that my paperback Breeding For Success has now sold over 200 copies from here alone, and is also available as an E-book? www.gbpoultry.com

Apologies if you got this email and you are in the UK.

All the best for the season

Hi Andy, just got this notice on the CI FB page. It looks so interesting and I'd love to go, I'm just afraid it will be out of my price range more because of the motel and food costs. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom