Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
Hi,, I have a question that I hope this is the right place to ask!!! I just got a full size black Cochin rooster that I got from a lady on byc that has brown/gold on his neck and the guy that she got the egg from that hatched out this roo said that this is ok and to pull them out to show him!!! to me this does not seem right! I would think that a black roo needs to be all BLACK. so what do you all think?? is he pure or is he hiding something in him that is bringing this out?? its not just the top, its all around the neck!!! he is 4 months old and here is the pics of him!
quilts180.jpg
quilts172.jpg

I'd like an honest critique,
See how there's an indentation above the blade? Would this comb be called 4 or 5 points?
What else about him? 6-7 months. You can see he's holding his wings out because it's hot..

Ok, having read the 44 pages so far i have a question.

i can get hold a gold laced bantam cochin roo, but not pullets or hens. I was thinking about breeding gold laced batnams, not for showing, but for my backyard flock.

My plan is to breed a GL cochin Roo to a pair of SL wyandotte (single comb) bantams. I understand this would create a sex link gold (s-)? This would give me gold pullets, which i could cross back to my GL Roo to get some improvement? Or would crossing the f1 males back with the SLW get me closer?

As i said, not looking for SQ, just want to create as close to a GL as i can
big_smile.png
Is this impossible? Would an outcross to a SLW bantam give me anything even vaguely close to a GL cochin a few generations down the line? Or is my project a bit daft? Pls help, i am new and want to be told i am being stupid if i am proposing something that is not possible
smile.png

Last edited:
Is this impossible? Would an outcross to a SLW bantam give me anything even vaguely close to a GL cochin a few generations down the line? Or is my project a bit daft? Pls help, i am new and want to be told i am being stupid if i am proposing something that is not possible
smile.png
My personal opinion is that you're taking a huge step backwards to outcross to a wyandotte especially if you breed to a SL. You're creating multiple unneccesary problems for yourself, and there are GL available if you look hard enough and dedicate yourself to the task. It would be easier to start going to shows and see if you can't pick up what you want from someone there, or you could research some hatcheries and try to find one that has some reasonable GL, at least they might look like cochins.

Thanks i appreciate it. I have never seen gl in this country, thought it may work. I have seen a cochin roo with a gold laced chest, but the breeder said he was a "red" and had no idea about gold laced. I think i will give it a miss then if the breeders aren't doing it, then i wont
smile.png
I will just keep my lovely white and black girls, i do still want SLW girls, they look adorable. Will post soime pics of the boy i had in mind when i see them on Sunday. Maybe one of the breeders will start it eventually, i have called everyone, no one has them. Wish i could just order eggs like you guys and gals!

Last edited:
Thanks i appreciate it. I have never seen gl in this country, thought it may work. I have seen a cochin roo with a gold laced chest, but the breeder said he was a "red" and had no idea about gold laced. I think i will give it a miss then if the breeders aren't doing it, then i wont
smile.png
I will just keep my lovely white and black girls, i do still want SLW girls, they look adorable. Will post soime pics of the boy i had in mind when i see them on Sunday. Maybe one of the breeders will start it eventually, i have called everyone, no one has them. Wish i could just order eggs like you guys and gals!
Well, I did miss that you're in S Africa, sorry about that. In that case, I don't know what to tell you, it sounds like any way you go, you've got a long road ahead.

Back
Top Bottom