Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
thecochincoop~~! nice lacing! I really like that pullet she just looks so cute.

sbucciarel~ I don't know about the color but the hen is just pretty!!!

I must say the 'lesson' on crow head has helped me. I read the standard, but it is hard to visualize with out pictures. I went to cochint sight like Coopa ? advised and I could then definitely see the difference. I would like to post some pictures of mine but not sure if the computer will do the job.

Thanks ... looks a lot of wheaten pics I've seen except her type is not as good. Not a SQ bird, but very pretty little bantam. She has already laid two eggs since I got her. Didn't skip a beat. First time I've seen a bantam egg. Tiny!

I am working on BLR cochins and if you can get ahold of a splash BLR wyandotte then you'd be able to do it. I'd say probably a 4 year program to get something decent but I think it can be done

I recently read on showbirdbid.com about a silver laced cochin project in which someone outcrossed to wyandottes. Here's the link: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cif&action=display&thread=3849 you might find some of that information helpful.

i would say, presuming a gold laced isn't available (i have no clue what's available in s. africa) , to go with the slw and maybe create BOTH lines, silver and gold at the same time. the silver i would think easier since you have good blacks. but i'm not sure what color is involved with the gold. maybe use buff or red instead of black? or else get a solid line of silver laced going (this is what i would do), then work on introducing red/gold/buff/whatever to the silver laced cochins. at least then you're not working with a totally different breed, just mixed colors within a breed.

Well, I did miss that you're in S Africa, sorry about that. In that case, I don't know what to tell you, it sounds like any way you go, you've got a long road ahead.

Thanks all. Hopefully in a few years i will be able to post some pics of the progress, i have found a breeder who will take the culls for me and sell them, in exchange for giving me feed
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom