Cochin chick coloring

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
I have six Cochin chicks I got from Ideal Poultry. I have 1 white, 1 black, 1 buff, and 3 I'm not sure. I think the black and yellow ones are mottled but some of their color patterns are resembling some Barred qualities. I also have a red-ish yellow Cochin that I assumed was buff because it looked exactly like the buff chick a week ago, but is now showing darker feathers at the tip of its wings. So I'm thinking Mille Fleur but I don't know. Any opinions are appreciated!

This is the most recent photo I have of the white one.

The black one

My photogenic buff

Here's a pic of all of them. The red-ish one that I think may be a Mille Fleur is on the right. She doesn't have her darker feathers in this picture though. I took it a few days ago and she's gotten a lot more feathers since. All my chicks have went to sleep under their heater so I'll get more pictures in the morning.

Last edited:
Too young - wait till 8 weeks or so, when they are fully feathered out, and their color will reveal itself. Cochins can be just about any color - barred, penciled etc. So many great choices in one breed.

Well here are some updated pictures.

These are 3 different chicks. The first and last I thought were mottled but they are actually grayish with very little white.

Last edited:
Could be a blue or a blue mottled. Sometimes the first wing feathers aren't always the end coloring, especially on red birds.

Back
Top Bottom