Cochin Thread!!!

What books would you recommend for a beginner breeder of LF Cochins?

Thank you,
Shyla.
Are you looking for guidance on raising Cochins or a genetics book that would generally apply for all poultry breeders? Gail has posted in the past the genetics books she has found helpful. One of her posts on the subject follows.
  • Coopa Cabana
  • Platinum_Poultry.v1323720405.png
  • My Coop Runneth Over . . .
  • My Coop
I know van Dort's "Genetics of Chicken Colours" is pricey and almost impossible to find, but I would very highly recommend Brian Reeder's "Intro to Color Forms of the Domestic Fowl" for anyone interested in color genetics. There are no fancy pictures - just plain, easy to understand genetics with descriptions of most color varieties, and it's affordable.
Here's a link to purchasing it on Amazon for anyone interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Color-Forms-Domestic-Fowl/dp/1425904211/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314333567&sr=1-4
ir

Quote:
I know van Dort's "Genetics of Chicken Colours" is pricey and almost impossible to find, but I would very highly recommend Brian Reeder's "Intro to Color Forms of the Domestic Fowl" for anyone interested in color genetics. There are no fancy pictures - just plain, easy to understand genetics with descriptions of most color varieties, and it's affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Color-Forms-Domestic-Fowl/dp/1425904211/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314333567&sr=1-4
ir

Thanx Craig!
Brian Reeder also has a great website, but I just went to it and it seems to be down right now. But here's another great website everyone should have bookmarked:

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html

We've all spent a lot of time the past few days talking about breeding and genetics for different patterned and colored Cochins - which is fantastic - we need to see more of the lesser-seen Varieties in the showhalls.

But every once and a while, we need to take a step back and remind ourselves that, first and foremost, we are breeding Cochins, whether Large or Bantam. And if you don't breed (and cull) for COCHIN TYPE FIRST and the Variety second, then all you will have is a pretty chicken.

We've all spent a lot of time the past few days talking about breeding and genetics for different patterned and colored Cochins - which is fantastic - we need to see more of the lesser-seen Varieties in the showhalls.

But every once and a while, we need to take a step back and remind ourselves that, first and foremost, we are breeding Cochins, whether Large or Bantam. And if you don't breed (and cull) for COCHIN TYPE FIRST and the Variety second, then all you will have is a pretty chicken.

Well said!

Thanx Craig!
Brian Reeder also has a great website, but I just went to it and it seems to be down right now. But here's another great website everyone should have bookmarked:

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html

Are you looking for guidance on raising Cochins or a genetics book that would generally apply for all poultry breeders? Gail has posted in the past the genetics books she has found helpful. One of her posts on the subject follows.
  • My Coop

ir

Thank you for the information I will check out those books and website. I am looking for both guidance and genetics information. I would like to start a breeding program, but I am still very new to chickens and do not feel confidant in my ability to breed really good Cochins. Any help or information you all can give me to help me get started would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy reading every ones posts and drooling over the beautiful birds you all breed. Would also love any advice on setting up breeding pens and natural hatching versus incubating eggs.

Thank you,
Shyla.

I thought I would share for a moment with the newcomers on this thread, and in particular those interested in laced birds, why it is so difficult to cull for pattern at an early age.

This is Calypso, my Golden Laced Bantam, as he matured in the summer of 2010. I almost culled him from the start - he was so funny looking - what in heck was going on with his breast coloring? - but he seemed to imprint on me, and to this day still runs to me when I go out to the coop. One thing to watch for - as you can see, he never did lose the white ticking on his feather tips on his wings and feet.

June 26:

July 18:

August 22:

September 25:

October 24:

Quote:

ir

Thank you for the information I will check out those books and website. I am looking for both guidance and genetics information. I would like to start a breeding program, but I am still very new to chickens and do not feel confidant in my ability to breed really good Cochins. Any help or information you all can give me to help me get started would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy reading every ones posts and drooling over the beautiful birds you all breed. Would also love any advice on setting up breeding pens and natural hatching versus incubating eggs.

Thank you,
Shyla.

Hi Shyla,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cochins! You have chosen wisely.
I have a very small flock compared to most on here - mine is truly a backyard flock. But I'll help where I can. You don't mention whether you'll be raising Large Fowl or Bantam - my experiences are with Bantam only.

First, to breed "really good Cochins", you should start with "really good Cochins". A trio or quad of the best that you can afford. Attend your local shows and get to know your local breeders. Invest in either the APA or ABA Standard. Join Cochins International. You will find that your initial investment in quality stock will, in the long run, save you time and money over starting with pet quality and trying to work your way up.

Your initial investment should also include the largest, and most predator proof, coop & run that you can afford. Site location is important, as is insulation and protection from inclement weather, and accessibility to water and electricity.

Breeding pens vs. cages generally depends on the size of your flock. I breed only selected pairs and/or trios, so I use rabbit hutches that I find on Craig's list during breeding season:

Whether you let the hens incubate and raise the chicks, or go with an incubator and brooder can also be dictated by your numbers, and is also a matter of personal preference for many. I've done both, and prefer to incubate myself. I have 2 Genesis 1588 - one for incubating, and one for hatching.

There are as many different ways of doing things as there are breeders, and most of us tweak our programs every year - hopefully for the better.

Hi Shyla,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cochins! You have chosen wisely.
I have a very small flock compared to most on here - mine is truly a backyard flock. But I'll help where I can. You don't mention whether you'll be raising Large Fowl or Bantam - my experiences are with Bantam only.

First, to breed "really good Cochins", you should start with "really good Cochins". A trio or quad of the best that you can afford. Attend your local shows and get to know your local breeders. Invest in either the APA or ABA Standard. Join Cochins International. You will find that your initial investment in quality stock will, in the long run, save you time and money over starting with pet quality and trying to work your way up.

Your initial investment should also include the largest, and most predator proof, coop & run that you can afford. Site location is important, as is insulation and protection from inclement weather, and accessibility to water and electricity.

Breeding pens vs. cages generally depends on the size of your flock. I breed only selected pairs and/or trios, so I use rabbit hutches that I find on Craig's list during breeding season:

Whether you let the hens incubate and raise the chicks, or go with an incubator and brooder can also be dictated by your numbers, and is also a matter of personal preference for many. I've done both, and prefer to incubate myself. I have 2 Genesis 1588 - one for incubating, and one for hatching.

There are as many different ways of doing things as there are breeders, and most of us tweak our programs every year - hopefully for the better.

Coopa-
Thank you for the information, I will be raising LF. I have some now that are 6 weeks old, but they came from Cackle Hatchery, so probably will not be using them for breeding. I am excited to learn everything I can and get started with my own flock of these beauties. I am going to join Cochins International and get the APA Standard very very soon. Again thank you so much for all the wonderful information.

Thank you
Shyla.

Very true. One breeder said it well. Build the barn THEN paint it. Type first, color second
wink.png

Thanks to everyone for the great discussion and info on genetics and breeding practices in making new colors!
big_smile.png

Wow, their color sure does change a lot! He is very pretty! What do you think about using bantam BLRWs initially to get the lacing like the one in my Avatar.
I thought I would share for a moment with the newcomers on this thread, and in particular those interested in laced birds, why it is so difficult to cull for pattern at an early age.

This is Calypso, my Golden Laced Bantam, as he matured in the summer of 2010. I almost culled him from the start - he was so funny looking - what in heck was going on with his breast coloring? - but he seemed to imprint on me, and to this day still runs to me when I go out to the coop. One thing to watch for - as you can see, he never did lose the white ticking on his feather tips on his wings and feet.

June 26:

July 18:

August 22:

September 25:

October 24:

Back
Top Bottom