Cochin Thread!!!

Wow, their color sure does change a lot! He is very pretty! What do you think about using bantam BLRWs initially to get the lacing like the one in my Avatar.
Mandy can probably address that better that I can. If I remember correctly, she started her BLR Cochins with a Partridge Cochin and a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte. I don't know if the Wyandotte was single-combed or not. I would assume that getting back to good Cochin type will take a couple more generations and more serious culling along the way.

I thought I would share for a moment with the newcomers on this thread, and in particular those interested in laced birds, why it is so difficult to cull for pattern at an early age.

This is Calypso, my Golden Laced Bantam, as he matured in the summer of 2010. I almost culled him from the start - he was so funny looking - what in heck was going on with his breast coloring? - but he seemed to imprint on me, and to this day still runs to me when I go out to the coop. One thing to watch for - as you can see, he never did lose the white ticking on his feather tips on his wings and feet.

June 26:

July 18:

August 22:

September 25:

October 24:

Wow, their color sure does change a lot! He is very pretty! What do you think about using bantam BLRWs initially to get the lacing like the one in my Avatar.

Thank you Gail!

I think all of us should study these pictures. I have been on an eye color awareness campaign for a year. This group of pictures shows how a bird can start with eye color that would not be correct as an adult and develop good/proper eye color. See how they change and it also give us an idea of how long we have to let them develop before culling. Great chronology of his development.

Craig

Mandy can probably address that better that I can. If I remember correctly, she started her BLR Cochins with a Partridge Cochin and a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte. I don't know if the Wyandotte was single-combed or not. I would assume that getting back to good Cochin type will take a couple more generations and more serious culling along the way.
I started with a hatchery partridge and blr wyandotte so it's been a long road with type. combs are easy and work themselves out fairly fast. Type is a little harder to come by and I did cross in a nice mille roo and my GL hens are fairly nice too. Once I get the females to be single laced I'll work a little harder on the type than I am now. They're not horrible but coming across a good GL is HARD! that is why I used the partridge. If you look back in my pics from the beginning you can see how far off they were and how much they have come along

I realized today that I had just hatched an equal number of chicks to the number of birds lost to raccoons in August. Setting Black eggs for 2 more weeks then I am DONE for the year! Started the incubator in March and it will be the 2nd weekend in Sept when I quit setting eggs. Unplug it about October 1.

1st picture is of last weeks and this weeks hatch focusing on the few Blacks I have.
2nd picture is of 3 to 5 week old chicks with several Blacks, Silver Penciled, and Columbians in there.

I havn't stopped my incubators in probably 2 years or so and if I do it's for a VERY short period of time. My GL's are terrible at having chicks

Thank you Gail!

I think all of us should study these pictures. I have been on an eye color awareness campaign for a year. This group of pictures shows how a bird can start with eye color that would not be correct as an adult and develop good/proper eye color. See how they change and it also give us an idea of how long we have to let them develop before culling. Great chronology of his development.

Craig
I don't worry about eye color until they are at least laying and probably longer. It seems to take that long for it to change and knock on wood if your breeders are good it seems to not be a problem. If you are limited on space like I am you have to pick your best typed birds that are what you think is close on color and just let them grow out. Don't cull for petty things until they are mature unless you see a major DQ. That is the only thing I cull for early, split wing, deformities, etc. I'm sure I've had to sell some birds that I probably would have rather not and would probably be farther along if I could keep more, but I am on a quarter acre here in town and can only keep about 50 birds tops in the summer. I have to knock that down to about 20-25 in the winter even with my new building. Just my opinion and hopefully some helpful advice for others that are limited on space

Just wanted to say I have learned more on this thread this past summer than I have for the past 5 years that I have had cochins.
thumbsup.gif
Thanks!!

Thank you for wanting to learn!

It's beginning to look like a major pillow fight out in my breed house. I found these on the floor a couple of minutes ago, and thought they'd be great examples of lacing - the good, the bad and the ugly. Excuse the tape on the ends - it's the only way it could get them to lay flat for the photo.

Left to Right: 1) Shafting; 2) Good Lacing - thin strip around the edge and nice wide middle, and if you look close, you can see the green sheen in the black edge; 3) Mossiness

Back
Top Bottom