Cochin Thread!!!

sad.png
I found one of my young hens dead in the nesting box this morning she could not lay her egg. For some reason I always felt something was not ok with her.......

Sorry about your hen .... If you suspect something's wrong when your other hens are laying, try here ▬ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Oh my goodness! She is adorable!
I have a hen and a suspect rooster that have that same coloring and black markings, except my chicken's markings are that abundant! And the suspect rooster has pure white tail feathers.
I've been wondering what they are.
I got them as eggs from a farm that has A LOT of different breeds of chickens running around so my guess was a little of this and a little of that.
Anyway! It's just cool to see your pic!
Maybe mine have some of that breed too!

Last edited:
Thanks, she is super sweet, and gentle little bird. I have been hoping and praying to see the penciling pattern on the wing rather than patches of red and black. So I am hoping I am out of the woods and my little bird is a she
fl.gif
You should post pictures of your birds on the Breed and Gender forum, I'll bet you will get a bunch of input on all the different types you might have
thumbsup.gif

I have with
Thanks, she is super sweet, and gentle little bird.  I have been hoping and praying to see the penciling pattern on the wing rather than patches of red and black.  So I am hoping I am out of the woods and my little bird is a she :fl   You should post pictures of your birds on the Breed and Gender forum, I'll bet you will get a bunch of input on all the different types you might have:thumbsup
[/quote

I have with two of my hens.
They were my first and they are a lot more friendly than my new birds.
I can't get any of the babies to hold still do a pic yet but I've been trying lol.
As soon as I do I will go straight there!

Quote: I have posted her picture there too
idunno.gif
, but I guess I figured that the "Cochin" people were the ones who would recognize a male or female pattern, and often I don't get any/or very few responses on the that forum
hit.gif

honestly, she doesn't look very much like a partridge IMO... they should be dark red on the hens and roos. the roos have a black breast with dark red markings, hens have the dark pattern all over.

possibly not pure cochin either for the shape of the tail or the sparse feathering on the feet...

looks very much like a gold version of the 'dark' brahma to me, except for the single comb.

honestly, she doesn't look very much like a partridge IMO... they should be dark red on the hens and roos. the roos have a black breast with dark red markings, hens have the dark pattern all over.

possibly not pure cochin either for the shape of the tail or the sparse feathering on the feet...

looks very much like a gold version of the 'dark' brahma to me, except for the single comb.
I was just going to post similarly. That tail certainly does not look very "cochinesque" if that was a word. With mixed breeds or cochins not bred to the standard, it is hard to tell male/female. It may just end up being an oddly marked female with a larger than usual comb. Some of my first hatchery cochin pullets had pretty big combs. I guess just wait for crowing and hope it doesn't come. My cockerels have started crowing somewhere between 3 weeks and 6 months.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom