Cochin Thread!!!

When you say mineral oil are you talking about Intestinal Lubricant Mineral Oil or something else cause I googled it trying to fine where I could possibly buy some later for the girls when they start to lay to keep on hand just encase they have trouble.
Yes I'm speaking of the Mineral Oil that you can get at Walmart in the Pharmacy dept. It's very cheap and nothing special. I used an eye dropper and filled it full, then just held it to her vent. She pulled it up just like she would if it was semen, that's what made it so easy. I don't know if you AI, but if you've seen the contractions of the hens vent when you touch it, that is the movement that will help to take in the oil. I did insert my finger to make sure I was actually feeling an egg. I also tried to gently massage the oil around the egg as best I could. I put on a surgical glove so that my fingernail wouldn't scratch her. I used it even though my fingernails are short. It took about 12 hrs. and she passed the egg.
The shell-less egg may have been expelled when the shell broke inside of that hen. If they retain the shell and it is not removed they will become septic and die. It's truly an unpleasant way to go. Imagine not being able to pass anything for days on end.

edited for terrible grammar, and numerous typos.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have posted her picture there too:idunno , but I guess I figured that the "Cochin" people were the ones who would recognize a male or female pattern, and often I don't get any/or very few responses on the that forum:hit  

Well I posted some pictures but they turned out pretty terrible and I didn't realize how terrible until I saw them on here.. Oy.
Oh well! I'll see what happens!
:)

This was from another thread about a young partridge Cochin's gender.... my little chicky is 8 weeks old. I tried to compare the pictures. I have been obsessing can you tell....
wink.png

This picture is from another post by Studio2770
"7 weeks old. I'm leaning toward OliveER. Maroon is coming in.

here below is mine...

here below is Studio2770 little Oliver...

I thought that partridge roosters had patches of red on the body, my little chicky has uniform penciling throughout...
So I was hoping the penciling said pullet
fl.gif

I think it is a female bird of pet quality. Penciling , barring , and color are not what I expect to see on a Partridge at 8 weeks.

I think it is a female  bird of pet quality. Penciling , barring , and color are not what I expect to see on a Partridge at 8 weeks.

I am new to cochins as a breed, I hatched her from an egg. It is possible she is a mix, but I was told it was a cochin egg...coloring type was not stated, I have been trying to figure that out on my own...hence the incorrect diagnosis:-l So she looks more like a golden partridge barhma?....lol I think I may go on the breed forum now.... isn't it funny how one questions answer just leads to more questions..;-)

I am new to cochins as a breed, I hatched her from an egg. It is possible she is a mix, but I was told it was a cochin egg...coloring type was not stated, I have been trying to figure that out on my own...hence the incorrect diagnosis:-l So she looks more like a golden partridge barhma?....lol I think I may go on the breed forum now.... isn't it funny how one questions answer just leads to more questions..;-)

There is no doubt she is a Cochin. I just described her as pet quality because she is not colored correctly to develop into a Show Quality bird even if she was to finish out nicely. Enjoy her for what she is.This picture has 3 of my young Partridge pullets in it. the one to the left of the waterer and the 2 just behind it are all Partridge Cochins. Color is closer to correct on these girls.

Back
Top Bottom