Cochin Thread!!!

Thank You. I try hard. I have been wondering what varieties and when people plan to hatch their next years chicks. Last year the weather was so bad here that I carried water for 6 weeks because the line to the hydrant froze and did not thaw until March. I hatched the latest I ever had. Just could not face caring for chicks in inclement weather. I am planning on turning the lights on late January so I start to hatch in March. Remember the males need the light as long or longer than the hens to be fertile. Happy hatching.

My cochin hen has gone broody in my computer chair, of all places. By the look on her face, I don't think I'm going to get it back!

The black dots are old healed scabs, she got some little comb injuries.. think it might have been my cockerel biting her comb at night on the roost. She is setting on one of her own infertile eggs right now, but once they arrive and if she is still stuck to the nest, she'll be getting 6 serama eggs.

Last edited:
Thank You. I try hard.  I have been wondering what varieties and when people plan to hatch their next years chicks. Last year the weather was so bad here that I carried water for 6 weeks because the line to the hydrant froze and did not thaw until March. I hatched the latest I ever had. Just could not face caring for chicks in inclement weather. I am planning on turning the lights on late January so I start to hatch in March. Remember the males need the light as long or longer than the hens to be fertile. Happy hatching.

I'll be doing the same. But start a lil earlier as I do have some chicks that will be for sale and sell them at the same time as my work (TSC) sells chicks.

I just set some blue and splash bantam cochin eggs in the incubator. I can't tell you how excited I am to have a little flock of these. I want to add black, red brown and lemon blue at some point. But I've had a hard time finding people with red brown and lemon blue, let alone someone willing to sell some of them.

I just set some blue and splash bantam cochin eggs in the incubator. I can't tell you how excited I am to have a little flock of these. I want to add black, red brown and lemon blue at some point. But I've had a hard time finding people with red brown and lemon blue, let alone someone willing to sell some of them.
You will get Black from your Blue breeding so you may not need to add them. Also when you ask folks for Brown Red, just make sure you ask for them as such. Most breeders get a bit offended if you ask for their variety but don't use the correct terms. Just a friendly FYI.

You will get Black from your Blue breeding so you may not need to add them. Also when you ask folks for Brown Red, just make sure you ask for them as such. Most breeders get a bit offended if you ask for their variety but don't use the correct terms. Just a friendly FYI.

I didn't think black would be possible as it was a splash rooster with blue and splash hens.

Thanks for the correction on the Brown Red...I've seen it in both orders so didn't know which was correct. I'll make sure I use the correct order from now on.

I didn't think black would be possible as it was a splash rooster with blue and splash hens.

Thanks for the correction on the Brown Red...I've seen it in both orders so didn't know which was correct. I'll make sure I use the correct order from now on.
On your Blues Fuzzy, you are correct. Sorry I may have missed where you shared your set up. Splash/Blue will give you %50 Blue, %50 Splash. So that said, yes you'll need to add Black to get them. You probably already know that if you breed your Splash cock to Black hens you'll get 100% Blues.

On your Blues Fuzzy, you are correct. Sorry I may have missed where you shared your set up. Splash/Blue will give you %50 Blue, %50 Splash. So that said, yes you'll need to add Black to get them. You probably already know that if you breed your Splash cock to Black hens you'll get 100% Blues.

These eggs will be the first bantam cochins that I have, but that is the set-up the breeder had. My current flock is a backyard mix, although one is a LF cochin cross. My friend has a couple of bantam cochin hens and that is what got me hooked. So I am setting up a second flock of bantam cochins (yes, chicken math has started!) and I love the BBS coloring.

I went to your website and your blue rooster is beautiful!!

Hello , I have a question. Awhile back I posted pics of our cochin bantams. Everyone said they are both cockerels. So today while I was tending to the flock billy the orange one mated the black one. So do I really have a pullet or do cockerels mate other cockerels ?
this is billy. Clearly a Roo
[/IMG]curly is the black one.i thought was a cockerel. What are anyone's thoughts ? Greatly appreciated!
the mille Fluer D'uccle is 19 weeks. The other two are 13 weeks. Thanks in advance! I'm yet to see billy mate with Chicken little the mille .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom