Cochin Thread!!!

My hen Pepper has been laying for 17 days, and has made 15 eggs. Do they start off strong layers and slow down, or do I just have an oddball well laying cochin?

She refuses to lay anywhere but in the seat of my computer chair. She has multiple nesting sites available, but heaven forbid I'm in that chair when she wants to lay! She'll circle like a shark making frustrated noises until she finally gives up, jumps in my lap, and starts pinballing from the back of the chair to the arm rests in aggravation until I stand up. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't work at home from the computer and she took less time. The process takes awhile, there is a lot of whiny noises and quiet chup-chup-chups, turning round and round, before she finally commits to lay... I surrendered my seat a little over an hour ago and just got the egg from her. She's still sitting there because she rests on it, even though she's not broody, after laying. She sits there looking tired for awhile and her comb takes a bit to get the color back. I'm a little worried about her. It seems to take a lot out of her.. I hope it gets faster, and less stressful, as she gets experience.

Hi everyone!! Well I'm going to be getting a LF buff hen tomorrow!! I was wondering if someone can tell me what color I might get if I hatched eggs from a buff and a blue. I'm sure you shouldn't cross it but that might be the way for now, Of course I don't have a rooster yet but plan on a blue rooster :)

Hi everyone!! Well I'm going to be getting a LF buff hen tomorrow!! I was wondering if someone can tell me what color I might get if I hatched eggs from a buff and a blue. I'm sure you shouldn't cross it but that might be the way for now, Of course I don't have a rooster yet but plan on a blue rooster :)

There sadly isn't a way to know for sure! It depends on what genes the black is covering in your blue rooster. Most likely, you would get a mostly black bird with lots of buff/orange/red leakage. Some might also get the blue gene since that's co-dom and the black will be muted, but I don't think that would affect the other colors. It wouldn't be a particular variety, just a mix. No big if you just want sweet chickens from your own sweet chickens, but if you're wanting a color project or show birds it is not a good place to start, so depending on your goal it could be good or bad news.

Last edited:
My room Maximum.

There sadly isn't a way to know for sure! It depends on what genes the black is covering in your blue rooster. Most likely, you would get a mostly black bird with lots of buff/orange/red leakage. Some might also get the blue gene since that's co-dom and the black will be muted, but I don't think that would affect the other colors. It wouldn't be a particular variety, just a mix. No big if you just want sweet chickens from your own sweet chickens, but if you're wanting a color project or show birds it is not a good place to start, so depending on your goal it could be good or bad news.
Thank you! I sadly didn't get her:( They informed me she had a bare butt, I guess has always had it?? I'm going to try to post the pic. Does you or anyone know what this could be from and if its a mite or something contagious? I really would like her but I am not in a position to treat her if its major. Didn't want to bring her home even keeping her separate if it was something contagious.http://images.craigslist.org/00q0q_cvR3eUhedY0_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!  I sadly didn't get her:(  They informed me she had a bare butt, I guess has always had it??  I'm going to try to post the pic.  Does you or anyone know what this could be from and if its a mite or something contagious?  I really would like her but I am not in a position to treat her if its major.  Didn't want to bring her home even keeping her separate if it was something contagious.http://images.craigslist.org/00q0q_cvR3eUhedY0_600x450.jpg

I am not experienced with chicken disease, however because her skin is so red and inflammed, I would not bring her home. It probably is mites which are def. Contagious, but any malady is going to be a risk to bring home to your flock. That they are selling a chicken with an inflammed rump as "always been that way" doesn't speak well of the care she has received. If you want a rescue project with a long quarintine and very likely to cost you in time, effort and dosh, take her on! If not, I would wait for the opportunity to get a healthy hen.

Back
Top Bottom