Cochin Thread!!!

Is my hen hatchery stock???

I can't tell whether she's a large fowl or bantam, looks like LF to me, but either way she's either from a very good hatchery or someone who has reasonably good breeder stock. If she's a bantam she's not really show quality, but if she is a large fowl, she might make a show bird. It will take more than just an evaluation online from pictures to make that call. Not a bad looking bird.

I can't tell whether she's a large fowl or bantam, looks like LF to me, but either way she's either from a very good hatchery or someone who has reasonably good breeder stock. If she's a bantam she's not really show quality, but if she is a large fowl, she might make a show bird. It will take more than just an evaluation online from pictures to make that call. Not a bad looking bird.
she is large fowl.

She also has a very nice shaped head.

Hey there! I just brought home a large fowl Black Cochin. A friend of mine breeds these for 4H and didn't need five cockerels, so Louis came home with me! He comes from show stock, but had a few disqualifications so they wouldn't be breeding him. They didn't want to see such a nice bird be turned into meat and asked me if I would take him. I couldn't say no! He is so sweet and I hope he gets along with my girls well! (first pic: me holding him, second pic: getting a bath(had some mites, but all better now!), third pic: post bath blow dry, fourth pic: the girls checking him out)

Hey there! I just brought home a large fowl Black Cochin. A friend of mine breeds these for 4H and didn't need five cockerels, so Louis came home with me! He comes from show stock, but had a few disqualifications so they wouldn't be breeding him. They didn't want to see such a nice bird be turned into meat and asked me if I would take him. I couldn't say no! He is so sweet and I hope he gets along with my girls well! (first pic: me holding him, second pic: getting a bath(had some mites, but all better now!), third pic: post bath blow dry, fourth pic: the girls checking him out)
He sure is pretty! Great to know he will have a home with you :) Although, I recommend quarentine before showing him to your flock. It's probably to late, just a suggestion for next time :)

What a beautiful boy. I have a bantam black rooster and he is minature sized version of what yours looks like. I love the bath picture by the way. He looks very amused.
gig.gif

I need opinions please. This is my 3-4 month old bantam cochin Summer (or Sonny) and I can't figure out if it is a boy or girl. I keep flip flopping. My other bantam cochins wattles and combs are somewhat bigger and redder but I can't be sure. What do you guys think?????
idunno.gif

I need opinions please. This is my 3-4 month old bantam cochin Summer (or Sonny) and I can't figure out if it is a boy or girl. I keep flip flopping. My other bantam cochins wattles and combs are somewhat bigger and redder but I can't be sure. What do you guys think?????
idunno.gif

Close up of his saddle feathers looks shiny and possibly pointed, maybe a closer picture of that area would help.

Back
Top Bottom