Cochin Thread!!!

There is a gentleman near me that sells Silver Laced Cochin hatching eggs on ebay. He's in Astor FL. Very nice birds. I think he sells chicks as well. I forget the name of his place. He's on ebay though. I was going to buy some from him for a SL project I have in mind but sadly I have no more room for projects. lol

I'd love some... That is if my incubator and my coops had any more space! :gig I only have 4 splash pullets growing out and I am going to be selling chicks that I hatch or just sell hatching/eating eggs.

I'd love some... That is if my incubator and my coops had any more space!
gig.gif
I only have 4 splash pullets growing out and I am going to be selling chicks that I hatch or just sell hatching/eating eggs.
His name on ebay is ghost*cracker.

I have 7 LF Blue Buff Splash chicks for sale if anyone is interested. I would like to sell them as a group. They are $15 each plus shipping. Pick up is also welcome. PM me if interested. Thanks!!

My standard blue cochins that I bought on Saturday!!
The frizzle is a rooster, the normal is a hen. They are about 4 months old.
I can't wait to show them this year!!

2076wyq.jpg

14cwal3.jpg

254vl9z.jpg

This was the tag on the cage
nye9ub.jpg

I'm wondering if the seller was telling the truth on the frizzle being rare or not.
I live in the Midwest, so I that part of why they might be considered rare

They are show quality cochins' and I want to make sure they are receiving the proper dietary needs. And also to ensure proper feather quality

I am wondering what feed I should give them.
My other birds get whole corn and oats, but they free range all day while it's light out. So I can't feed that to the Cochins.

I've heard and read that need some extra care for showing, and keeping them healthy in general.
I'm wondering what other peoples experience are with them.
And what other kind if extra care they need.

The temperature varies from as cold as -60F and as a high as 100F

I have a question. I have a frizzled bantam cochin and a standard cochin rooster. I want to get a chick from them but I'm not sure if that will work since the bantam eggs are so small. Is it dangerous to hatch a half standard chick from a bantam egg?

I have a question. I have a frizzled bantam cochin and a standard cochin rooster. I want to get a chick from them but I'm not sure if that will work since the bantam eggs are so small. Is it dangerous to hatch a half standard chick from a bantam egg?

I wanted to do it the other way around, with the bantam as a roo and people said that I would get weird sized birds..

I wouldn't think that you would want a standard size rooster trying to cover a bantam size hen. We are talking about a 10 or 11 lb. rooster and a 2 lb. hen. I think the rooster would have trouble getting the job done just because of the awkwardness caused by their difference in size. Plus, I'm certain that the hen would not appreciate being jumped on by a rooster 5 times her weight.

I wanted to do it the other way around, with the bantam as a roo and people said that I would get weird sized birds..

That would be the way to go, but you may end up with some inconsistency in size in the adult birds. Our Cochin bantam roosters are fully capable of breeding our standard size sex-link laying hens. Last year we hatched a handful of the crossbreds just to see what we would get. They hatched out the same size as any other standard size chick and grew out to be on the smaller end of the standard size spectrum at about 4 1/2 pounds.

They were out of Red Star hens and by our bantam Cochin roosters. To help give an idea of their size, in the picture the little guys are sitting in a 1 gallon rubber dog feed pan that measures 11 inches across.

Back
Top Bottom