Cochin Thread!!!

i have six 3 1/2 week old cochin bantams for sale atleast one is a frizzle... i have a new baby & dont have time for the coop right now.
sad.png
im in nw ohio

Quote:
i was thinking they might be (and the white cochin too), but now (i'm at 6 weeks old this weekend) my #1 above roo looks SO much more like a roo that i am doubting any of the others are! maybe it's just how i photographed them. but in person their combs are so much smaller and so not-red that i am thinking i might have 5 pullets? maybe my sweet boy is just fast developing and the rest are slowpokes, but that is what i am thinking. i will put more photos up of them as i get more good ones for further opinion. maybe i will get some more this weekend.

thanks for your opinion!
smile.png

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! The chicks I have now are 2 wks and come from 3 different places- they are all maturing at different speeds. It is hard to tell what I have. I hope they will come along in the next week or so!

Quote:
I have one here in NH but I don't ship birds. I just posted it a few days ago and everyone said it is a roo. It is about eight weeks old I think.
Too bad you aren't closer.
idunno.gif

I believe Janelle has her Golden laced bantam rooster offered for free on the auction here on BYC. She lives over the TN state line from NC.

I have a few red roos but they are out of my Mille Fleur project and one even has a chocolate looking tail/bum but I am sure that will molt out eventually.
I have lots of little pullets to go with my guys but they are also out of the MF project.

Some of my little dorks (2-and-a-half month olds) playing in the yard this afternoon - the two in the middle are my little "mystery color" cockerels (maybe Columbian x Partridge?), to the left are my too-light Columbian pullets (their butts are destined to sit on Call duck eggs for me next year!), and to the left is one of my Columbian cockerels. The patterns might be a little off, but they're maturing into nice, fluffy birds:
June2010099.jpg

And a pretty feather one of the Columbians molted out
big_smile.png

June2010093.jpg

Whatever happened to Dirty Blonde posting some pictures of her new Columbian Cochins? We wanna see!
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and thanks for responding to my post about the terrified 11 week old cochins I got last Monday. I'll try and be more patient and let them get used to our place here. I had a scare and actually lost one because they got through this TINY hole in their pen that I never suspected would be an issue and they got out of the coop altogether because the doors were open (so my free-rangers could get to their water/food.) Well after a whole day and night outside they FINALLY followed me back into the coop so I think that deep down they are starting to make the connection between me and food/water. I'm so sad to have lost that one but thankfully the other two are back safely penned up and I fixed the gate to where it doesn't leave a gap anymore.

I need to post pictures tomorrow but I think the guy sold me bantams instead of standards since my other chickens and these guys are supposedly one month apart in age but the little cochins are so, so tiny. You'd think that would have occured to me before now but I've never had bantams before and since they're still growing I just assumed it was age difference. But I think they would be a little closer in size than they are... I'll post pictures tomorrow and maybe you guys could tell? Supposing they are bantams are there differences in personality between bantams and standards? I specifically didn't want bantams because I wanted calm, friendly birds and I always hear the little guys are more flighty- does this tend to be the case with cochins?

Thanks so much!
Frances

Back
Top Bottom