Cochin Thread!!!

This may sound crazy, but I'm not kidding and I'm wondering if any of you have seen this before. My white frizzle cochin hen recently went through a bad molt and she is now fully feathered with straight feathers! She had molted twice before this and regrew her frizzled feathers as normal. I'll attach a picture of her during her molt (not even at her worst). I don't have a current picture of her, but if you'd like, I can take one tomorrow of her fully feathered with straight feathers. This just doesn't make sence to me. I had 3 white hens, 2 straight, 1 frizzled. Now for the whites, I have 3 straights!

Her name is Mary and I know her feathers look aweful, she lost many more after I look this picture (poor girl).

This may sound crazy, but I'm not kidding and I'm wondering if any of you have seen this before. My white frizzle cochin hen recently went through a bad molt and she is now fully feathered with straight feathers! She had molted twice before this and regrew her frizzled feathers as normal. I'll attach a picture of her during her molt (not even at her worst). I don't have a current picture of her, but if you'd like, I can take one tomorrow of her fully feathered with straight feathers. This just doesn't make sence to me. I had 3 white hens, 2 straight, 1 frizzled. Now for the whites, I have 3 straights!

Her name is Mary and I know her feathers look aweful, she lost many more after I look this picture (poor girl).
Do you have pics of her before she started to molt? I enlarged the pic and the feathers on her head are nnot frizzled, they are smooth. Her cushion feathers look smooth too, just very ragged. I have never heard of this before, but have seen a bird perfectly half frizzle and half smooth before.

~Casey

Do you have pics of her before she started to molt? I enlarged the pic and the feathers on her head are nnot frizzled, they are smooth. Her cushion feathers look smooth too, just very ragged. I have never heard of this before, but have seen a bird perfectly half frizzle and half smooth before.

~Casey
I'm sure I have pictures somewhere, I'll look for one in the morning. She is my only frizzle, and she was given to me so I don't expect her to be of quality. I'm trying to remember if her head were frizzled as well as her body, I want to say yes, but I see what what you mean. Thanks for the response, I'm a bit disappointed that her new feathers came in perfectly smooth, I'm not a big fan of frizzles, but being the only one, she was unique.

And for the record, I have always adored the rooster in your avatar. He is gorgeous.

i don't post too many pics, but this guy just HAD to have his pic taken tonight...

meet the 'skunklet' - hatched November 12th.

ditto.........
I breed Birchen and yes, I see what looks like Birchen markings. It is hard for me to tell with the Frizzle thing going on, and I would say that for a proper Birchen chick, the markings are too heavy for this young age. It will be very interesting to see how this baby matures. I hope you'll keep us posted.

Will do, i didnt know birchen came out of a black to white breeding. But i will keep this little guy around for a while to see how he turns out. Will post more pictures once he feathers in properly.

With all the white lacing on the feathers down the chest and into the legs...looks like maybe a Silver Laced is in the mix too.
Birchen would be more the head, neck and wing bows....at least on my Birchen.....

Definitely no SL involved. That is a side project i want to start once i get my partridge project going properly. There almost seems to be too much white for Birchen, but want to see what happens in the next few months. He is cute, but doesnt factor into any of my planned projects, i want to keep him for a few months to see how he turns out though as the colouring is unusual for here(South Africa)

i don't post too many pics, but this guy just HAD to have his pic taken tonight...

meet the 'skunklet' - hatched November 12th.

ooohh, I think the coloring is fantastic - keep us posted as to how it matures
big_smile.png

ANDY, I don't think that normally you would expect to get Birchen from Black/White, you would get it from Columbian/Black, but not plain B/W. Do you know if your Black comes from solid Blacks or could he be from a Birchen program. I've had solid Black come from breedings and I don't think that is too unusual. If he's from a Birchen program that might be where the markings come from. Breeding Birchens is like walking a tight rope and I'm sure that's true for many patterned birds. When I decide who I'll breed to whom, it's a matter of evaluating who has markings that will balance out the other birds markings, and you must be careful breeding two heavily marked birds together. You can end up with a real mess, and the lacing going all over the place. I know you guys don't have much to choose from even with Cochins of fair type. There is another person on here from S Africa that has had to outcross to another breed to get the color they were looking for, so with this in mind I think you're doing extremely well to have birds with the quality of type that yours have. I applaud you for your commitment to the breed in view of the obsticles you face.

Back
Top Bottom