Cochin Thread!!!

I am feeling disappointed in all of my new mottled stock. Some of them are showing really nice type, but every single bird has red leakage coming in.
hit.gif
This is probably a DQ, isn't it? I have a very old SOP and mottled isn't in it. I need to shop for a new one. How hard will the leakage be to breed out if I cross them with stock from another source that has no leakage?
Thanks for any advice.

depending on how bad the leakage is, you should be able to cross them with some birds with a nice beetle green sheen to the black and remove it. I did this with my blue mottleds and it cleared it right up but it was only a tawny color. if you are talking about where it appears as reddish spots or even red feathers, then I would not recommend breeding them

sad.png
Bummer. They all have some red feathers showing up in the hackle area, even the girls. They are just so darn cute....What a bummer deal. Starting over again. Wonder if I could sell them to someone breeding milli fluer cochins?

sad.png
Bummer. They all have some red feathers showing up in the hackle area, even the girls. They are just so darn cute....What a bummer deal. Starting over again. Wonder if I could sell them to someone breeding milli fluer cochins?
unfortunately, black doesn't really have any place in the mille fleur program... even black with red leakage. mille fleur is a combination of columbian and mottling.

maybe someone might like some eye candy for their yard/laying flock...

i have a blue cochin hen. what color roo would you breed her with. any ideas?

Black, Blue, Splash will get you chicks in the BBS family.

Blue to Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
Splash to Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash to Black = 100% Blue
Splash to Splash = 100% Splash
Blue to Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black

Hope this helps.

I'm looking to add cochins to my flock. I'd like females (I've got a game rooster, and he's a good boy, and I don't want trouble) and don't necessarily need chicks or eggs. I'm not a breeder, so I don't need certain colors either. My chickens are living "ornaments" and they are absolutely spoiled.

Any advice on where a girl in middle GA could purchase some pretty cochin hens? This thread is nearly 1300 pages long, so please accept my apologies if you've already dealt with this question repeatedly. :)

I'm looking to add cochins to my flock. I'd like females (I've got a game rooster, and he's a good boy, and I don't want trouble) and don't necessarily need chicks or eggs. I'm not a breeder, so I don't need certain colors either. My chickens are living "ornaments" and they are absolutely spoiled.

Any advice on where a girl in middle GA could purchase some pretty cochin hens? This thread is nearly 1300 pages long, so please accept my apologies if you've already dealt with this question repeatedly. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730263/mille-fleur-cochin-bantam-chicks

Georgiagail in Augusta has this ad for pickup in Augusta. Not sure how far you are from her.

Back
Top Bottom