Cochin Thread!!!

Quote: Yup! Mine usually go from broody to moulting before they start laying again.

@joanie_maine keep up the great work with your Reds!!
I have three pens of reds now - all the red hens are happily with red roos to winter over. We are planning to show in January, but beyond that, it will be breeding hatching and trying to improve type and color :) Thanks for the encouraging words!

Hi all,

I have found a book supplier in the UK who has the rights to reprint,

Dr Clive Carefoot's "Creative Poultry Breeding"

If anyone is interested pm me and i will pass on the details. They shipped the reprint to me in South Africa.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6013969/width/200/height/400[/IMG
[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6013978/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

? I don't have a SOP yet my wife says I have to wait for Christmas lol. Had Cochins for bout half the yr I see lots of diff body types. Some birds have a distinct tail others appear to be one big puff ball. While all are good looking birds in their own respects from a breeder/show point of view what does the standard call for? Also as they mature do they develope the more round full feathered look?
Thanks Bryant

? I don't have a SOP yet my wife says I have to wait for Christmas lol. Had Cochins for bout half the yr I see lots of diff body types. Some birds have a distinct tail others appear to be one big puff ball. While all are good looking birds in their own respects from a breeder/show point of view what does the standard call for? Also as they mature do they develope the more round full feathered look?
Thanks Bryant
go to cochins international website and take a look at the birds shown there. THAT is the standard...

they should not have any stiff tail feathers... you want a full wide cushion on hens and roos. most of mine aren't really wide enough, but we're getting there.

here are some of my own birds... i seem to favor photographing the roos more than the hens, but i managed to catch a few. LOL

blue mottled cockerel

mille fleur cockerel

black mottled roo

2 mille fleur pullets (1 blue mille top)

silver laced roo

blue mille pullet (she's shy LOL)​

Can you guy's tell me what color my little LF girl is or is she an unknown? I got her a splash and lemon blue from the same lady. They came from two lemon blue parents. So is she just a different color lemon blue or something else? She has me curious about her coloring I can't find another bird with her colors. Thanks
smile.png

go to cochins international website and take a look at the birds shown there. THAT is the standard...

they should not have any stiff tail feathers... you want a full wide cushion on hens and roos. most of mine aren't really wide enough, but we're getting there.

here are some of my own birds... i seem to favor photographing the roos more than the hens, but i managed to catch a few. LOL

blue mottled cockerel

mille fleur cockerel

black mottled roo

2 mille fleur pullets (1 blue mille top)

silver laced roo

blue mille pullet (she's shy LOL)​

Beautiful Cochin's and nice Photos
love.gif

[COLOR=333333]Can you guy's tell me what color my little LF girl is or is she an unknown? I got her a splash and lemon blue from the same lady. They came from two lemon blue parents. So is she just a different color lemon blue or something else? She has me curious about her coloring I can't find another bird with her colors. Thanks[/COLOR] :)
I have seen similar coming from partridge and blue breedings. Here is one example from last years breeding. It is a bit darker, but the similarity is there.

Back
Top Bottom