Cochin Thread!!!

I would say MUCH older, maybe even a year or more. LF Cochins are notoriously slow to mature.
But if they are older than a year old then wouldn't that make them a hen/cock? Would I just show them as a pullet/cockerel anyways( assuming they are only a little bit over a year old )? OR do most LF Cochin breeders just not show them as pullets/cockerels?

Last edited:
Dear Scifisarah, It is fun to stay sometimes, but if you want to sightsee, make sure your bird is settled and prepped (I rub coconut oil on combs and wattles to make them look good) and has water before you go. When you get back, check on him and if he has been judged, you may feed him and take the card (you will need it if he placed, but if he and the card are missing, do not panic. Look in champion row.) and check to see if they are giving out ribbons. If they aren't, you will have to stay and wait. If he did not place and his class had been judged, you may leave, although they want you to stay anyways. Before you go, look around. If you see guys with wagonloads of carriers full of birds leaving, you may also do so. If you have any other questions, ask me.

It is a two day show, so I don't think anyone will be leaving on Saturday. From what I understand, I am not supposed to coop out until after the grand champion has been awarded, Sunday morning. I will probably set him up on Friday night and then come back to check on him Saturday morning and several times during the day. Getting very excited! :)

Does anyone use lanolin on their cochin's combs and wattles? I have lots of that on hand from my Etsy business and thought it might work well.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to mind being indoors. Really it is was more a test for me to see if I am allergic to the chickens, or the bedding. Now that I have confirmed that it IS the bedding I am deathly allergic to, I find I am not too eager to move his cage back into the garage like I had planned, hah. And he is all nice and clean from the bath. The cage I got is actually smaller than the one I originally was going to buy. It is 29 long by 19 wide, hopefully it will be enough room for conditioning birds if I am also letting them out periodically. I am hoping the plastic coated wire will be alright for his feet. I hate my body, but not in the "normal" sense. I can't be around any of the stuff I like or I turn into a snot factory...
Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I used to be the same way with allergies. I stopped eating all grains. No bread, no pasta, that kind of thing, and it dramatically changed my life for the better. My big thing was cedar and was so bad I have gotten sinus infections twice a year almost my whole life. After kicking the grains, not so much as even a sniffle, no matter the season. Best thing for my health I have ever done.

Again sorry for being off topic, but I am hoping this might help you and others suffering. Good luck with your show!

well, personally, I have 2 pullets i'll be showing and one cock bird... for the cochins anyways. bantam blrw i'm showing a cock and pullet, lf blrw i'll have a hen and cockerel, and Dorkings are all mature.(2 years +/-)
Regarding what to call them at showing, the cut off point for cockerel/pullet vs. cock/hen is 1 year so if they're over a year old you would need to call them such. About their maturity, first let me say I'm not a LF Cochin breeder so I am limited on what I know. You need to talk with a LF breeder to be sure. I just know that MOST LF Cochins mature VERY slowly. There are a few breeders that have incredibly gorgeous birds that do mature earlier, but I think that is not the norm.
There is a LF Cochin thread on BYC. I've never been there, but it is frequently referred to. That is where I'd go to get the best information about your LF.

It is plastic coated wire, do you think that would be okay? I am allergic to wood shavings, so he'll have to go out in the garage otherwise as I can't have them in the house. I wonder if there are any alternatives to the wood shavings for bedding that he would not try to eat? Mostly he sits on his 1x2 roost. He looks awfully cute in my living room!

I use playground sand in my coop it dries easy doesnt stink, dries up the droppings quickly, and you take her droppings out with a kitty litter spoon. I love it. It may be a bit dusty, but it is and not wood so maybe it wouldn't aggravate your allergies:) Hope that helps
big_smile.png

I use playground sand in my coop it dries easy doesnt stink, dries up the droppings quickly, and you take her droppings out with a kitty litter spoon. I love it. It may be a bit dusty, but it is and not wood so maybe it wouldn't aggravate your allergies:) Hope that helps
big_smile.png

Chickens are SO dusty. I recommend getting a HEPA filter. As someone with Asthma I run a big filter in my Chicken building anytime the building is closed up.

Back
Top Bottom