Cochin Thread!!!

Love the updates on Jewel and her brood. Hope I get to hatch some next year, won't be full blood but mixes but I hope for the feet fluff.unless I replace my males with cochin or brahma. Still hope I can build second coop, expand run n get my giants.

Last edited:
So I put rainbow in with my polish rooster. ( my rooster snd polish hen were recently seperated from my cochin, d'uccle, and oeg bantam flock b/c they didn't know how to play nice, but a dog got my polish hen so after I repaired my new coop I put rainbow in with him.) so really I didn't introduce her to the flock it's just her and my roo but he was being so mean. I watched and waited and even stepped I between him and her but he pulled her scab off and she started to bleed again, so enough was enough. I coughs my roo and tied his legs together then put him in the coop with tied legs. I then put rainbow back on the ground and she got to eat and drink and explore while all my roo could do was watch. I let him sit by the water in the shade for 10 min. After that I turned him loose. Rainbow still not trusting him spent the day in the roost and the night but he didn't bother her anymore. This morning they are both on the ground eatting together!!!! He just had to learn some manners but all is well now! She has nice new feathers growing in and now she has companionship. Maybe soon she will start to lay!

So I put rainbow in with my polish rooster. ( my rooster snd polish hen were recently seperated from my cochin, d'uccle, and oeg bantam flock b/c they didn't know how to play nice, but a dog got my polish hen so after I repaired my new coop I put rainbow in with him.) so really I didn't introduce her to the flock it's just her and my roo but he was being so mean. I watched and waited and even stepped I between him and her but he pulled her scab off and she started to bleed again, so enough was enough. I coughs my roo and tied his legs together then put him in the coop with tied legs. I then put rainbow back on the ground and she got to eat and drink and explore while all my roo could do was watch. I let him sit by the water in the shade for 10 min. After that I turned him loose. Rainbow still not trusting him spent the day in the roost and the night but he didn't bother her anymore. This morning they are both on the ground eatting together!!!! He just had to learn some manners but all is well now! She has nice new feathers growing in and now she has companionship. Maybe soon she will start to lay!
Awww!!! She needs a buddy! All he needed was a refresher lesson in manners! Need to play nice Mr Roo...LOL!!! Slowly she is getting the happy chicken life she desreves
clap.gif

Oh yes I'm getting her a female friend to. Just haven't decided as to what "breed" to add.this coop/run will be my standard size clean legged coop/run. I really want a freindly breed. My roo is a polish rainbow is a game and I was thinking a EE or olive egger. Or just going back to the market and getting another poor girl that's needs a better life.

*thanks everyone for letting me share my non cochin story with all of you on this cochin thread, but I know cochin people are chucking people and love good story's with happy endings. Cochin or not. ;)

Any guesses on these two's gender.

First up is Rocky. I have always thought it is a cockerel but s/he is 4 weeks old now and I am still not sure.

Next is Shadow. I have always thought s/he was a pullet. This one is also 4 weeks old.

Oh yes I'm getting her a female friend to. Just haven't decided as to what "breed" to add.this coop/run will be my standard size clean legged coop/run. I really want a freindly breed. My roo is a polish rainbow is a game and I was thinking a EE or olive egger. Or just going back to the market and getting another poor girl that's needs a better life.

*thanks everyone for letting me share my non cochin story with all of you on this cochin thread, but I know cochin people are chucking people and love good story's with happy endings. Cochin or not.
wink.png
I love to hear how Rainbow is doing! I think it was so good of you to rescue her. What about a clean legged Marans?

*thanks everyone for letting me share my non cochin story with all of you on this cochin thread, but I know cochin people are chucking people and love good story's with happy endings. Cochin or not. ;)

I love to hear how Rainbow is doing! I think it was so good of you to rescue her. What about a clean legged Marans?

Good idea. I don't have any Marian's. there dark chicolate eggs are beautiful!

Good idea. I don't have any Marian's. there dark chicolate eggs are beautiful!
I heard they're really nice, gentle birds, friendly & very quick to learn. Sadly, the Marans chick I ordered did not survive the shipping :(. I do know some people breed the feathered legged variety, so wherever you get one from make sure has clean legged genetics if that's important to you :).

Back
Top Bottom