Cochin Thread!!!

Hi, I was hoping for some opinions on these two cockerels. I don't know very much about Cochins, but I was hoping to know if either of these guys was worth keeping to use? And to learn a little.

They are both the same age, the first guy is taller and the second guy is more compact. The pictures almost show a little purple coming through in the sheen, I've never seen it in person? Is purple sheen a bad thing in black cochins? And why does that bleed through? They came from an all black breeding pen. They are 8-9 months old!

Cockerel #1

Cockerel #2

Thanks for any comments on them!
bow.gif
Like them both and my preference is the 2nd one but that is just me. I love the high tight wing carry on both birds

Hi, I was hoping for some opinions on these two cockerels. I don't know very much about Cochins, but I was hoping to know if either of these guys was worth keeping to use? And to learn a little. They are both the same age, the first guy is taller and the second guy is more compact. The pictures almost show a little purple coming through in the sheen, I've never seen it in person? Is purple sheen a bad thing in black cochins? And why does that bleed through? They came from an all black breeding pen. They are 8-9 months old! Cockerel #1 Cockerel #2 Thanks for any comments on them! :bow
The purple (which I don't see on my little phone screen) is most likely the blue coming through as most black Cochins come from a blue line. What I see is a green sheen, and yes, it is a desirable feather trait. They both look very nice, but I agree that #2 may have better composition: rounded compact body, full round chest. Nice stance, leg spacing, round head & tail (feathers should be tighter with less spacing) short wings.

The purple (which I don't see on my little phone screen) is most likely the blue coming through as most black Cochins come from a blue line. What I see is a green sheen, and yes, it is a desirable feather trait.

They both look very nice, but I agree that #2 may have better composition: rounded compact body, full round chest. Nice stance, leg spacing, round head & tail (feathers should be tighter with less spacing) short wings.
I don't know about LF Cochins specifically, but I'm certain bantams and pretty sure about LF that they do not come from Blue breedings. Actually the Blacks are the most heavily shown and bred Cochins in the US. There have been endless discussions with as many theories as there are Black breeders about where the green sheen comes from and what will improve it in the breeding pens. What I can say about sheen is that purple is NOT a desirable sheen and they are usually culled from a Black breeding program. Just from what I can see in your pictures is that the green sheen looks to be present and well distributed on the bird. I prefer the type on the second bird, but I don't see as much green on the second bird. As a matter of fact he almost looks dark Blue in one of the pictures. After all this discussion about sheen, I would still say you have two very nice large fowl Blacks. (blue?)

This is completely off topic but I'm curious about the bird that is in the background of last picture. It is to the left and back of the subject of the pic. Almost looks like a LF Birchen. ???

Luna, a surrogate mom to Turkey, the white leghorn. Yuki, is the chicken to the left, who has the right idea snuggling with Luna. But Yuki is like 6 years old, and Luna is two :lau

Back
Top Bottom