Cochin Thread!!!

If you need better pictures of any parts of them I will get them tomorrow.
I'm looking for strong and weak points on them

Just turned 1 year old. Blue Frizzle
Strong Points: I like his frizzling and feel it is strong all the way through. I feel his color is also sufficient. Has the weight for the breed. He also has correct foot coloring and feathering on feet.
Weak Points: To large of waddles. Also has some crooked toes as an accident as a chick, can be fixed.

8 month old Blue Pullet
Strong Points: Good Cushion, decent coloring, good head shape, decent weight. Good breast. Overall I like her.

Weak Points: Comb has to many points

1 year on January 1st Blue hen
Strong Points: Heavy body, thick breast, correct feet color, good feet feathering. Good color. Had correct comb until an EE pecked it.
1f611.png
I am unsure on her wings

Weak Points: Cushion is not correct almost has a lateral spread, but is still there.

I love blues! Lighting for your pics is not the greatest, but I think they are lovely! I'm not one to critique for SOP, but I do have a question. I thought feet coloring was supposed to be yellow? Or is that just for bantams? (I only have bantams)

I love blues!  Lighting for your pics is not the greatest, but I think they are lovely!  I'm not one to critique for SOP, but I do have a question.  I thought feet coloring was supposed to be yellow?  Or is that just for bantams?  (I only have bantams)

They can have a blue tinge almost the one hen has to much blue.

My Cochin hen turned 6 months recently. With winter in full swing, when should I expect eggs from her?

I just put a light in the coop that I keep plugged in from 8 to 8. Hoping to speed things up do I can start hatching!

My Cochin hen turned 6 months recently. With winter in full swing, when should I expect eggs from her?

I just put a light in the coop that I keep plugged in from 8 to 8. Hoping to speed things up do I can start hatching!
Mine are 7 months and they are getting close. Lights won't do nothing to a pullet as far as getting them to lay. Cochins are slow to mature, most start between 6-9 months, but some can take even longer. They are not an egg production breed.

Last edited:
@oldhenlikesdogs Thanks! I knew that cochins took longer to mature, just wasn't sure how much longer.

Ahhh! Darn on the lights, lol! My Blue Cochin rooster is older and I have a Barred Rock in with him. Experimenting to see if the dot on males will still be obvious on blues. So hopefully some eggs soon to help with the hatching addiction.

I have two Cochins. One started to lay at 6 months and the other waited till nearly 10 months of age. You just have to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom