Cochin Thread!!!

Posey- Yikes! Glad I don't have that bad of a problem. Sounds incredibly frustrating. Hopefully someone will come along with some good advice here shortly. I have heard of birds getting ear mites and that causing them to scratch their heads? My birds act completely normal apart from the thickened skin around their eyes? I don't even really see them scratching and I am out there a lot...probably more than I should be...my house could use as much attention as the chickens get...

I use frontline spray (comes in a bottle, runs about $26 I think) I just use stream and do a squirt under each wing and one or two near the vent. (must be careful around the vent, apparently if they take it into the vent it can cause infertility for quite some time)

Thank you. Makes me wonder if the dip causes the infertility too.
Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm."
I will get the spray tomorrow.

i have started treating with frontline for dogs for my birds to keep the mites in check. seems to be working well
fl.gif
the iveron was not keeping them under control so I had to do something else

I read that some use Adam's flea and tick spray for dogs on their birds to help with mites. I just bought some of this for my barn cats and thought about putting some on my birds as a preventative. Has anyone else used this product? I'm sort of leary to try it without more confirmation that it is ok to use on birds.

Texaschick- I used adams spray before I started using frontline spray. I never had any problems with it, it is just really stinky which is why I switched to frontline. The adams spray made me sneeze!

I am posting this to let you be aware that there are stolen black Cochins being put up for sale. These are young birds that belong to Beth Gaetano that are up for sale by Janetta Dobler. She has no right to sell these birds so please be aware of the issue. She may also be selling some Silkies, so be aware of anything that this woman offers to sell.
b

I read that some use Adam's flea and tick spray for dogs on their birds to help with mites. I just bought some of this for my barn cats and thought about putting some on my birds as a preventative. Has anyone else used this product? I'm sort of leary to try it without more confirmation that it is ok to use on birds.

I've found Adams to be safe but ineffective. :/

My birds don't have mites... my property doesn't have mites... I live in South Dakota, I don't think it's normally much of a problem up here.

I bought some new chickens and they came to me with mites. I have them quarantined in the barn and have treated them with Frontline... Is this a hopeless situation? Will I always be battling mites now? My 18 month old daughter loves the chickens and spends almost as much time with them as I do.. I do NOT want mites on her. Will I be able to kill the mites on the new birds get rid of them completely and go back to being mite-free?

Posey if you have that much trouble with mites in the coop the best thing i have used is liquid 7 put in a garden sprayer and spray the coop down walls every thing. you can also put it in a bucket and dip the birds in it. just try to keep it out of the eyes.
i have done this for years and years it works great and it will not hurt the birds at all. If you do get it in there eyes it will not have ill effects just might burn.
I use to put it in my pigeon bath water and they never acted like it fazed there eyes at all.
PS. mix it twice as strong as it calls for!

Texaschick- I used adams spray before I started using frontline spray. I never had any problems with it, it is just really stinky which is why I switched to frontline. The adams spray made me sneeze!
I thought you couldn't get Frontline in a spray anymore. Is it back on the market?

Back
Top Bottom