Cochin Thread!!!

• Coopa Cabana
  • Platinum_Poultry.v1323720405.png
  • My Coop Runneth Over . . .
  • My Coop
I might be interested in those. What would you be asking for 1? Would you have any hens you would like to part with as well (1 or 2)? Unrelated to the roo of course. Although the research I have been doing says that sometime you have to breed closely to get the correct make up of this breed. I am jus so in love with this hen and her personality as well as her looks and the more research I do the more I want to promote this breed. I also want to know what I am doing before I start. My kids are in 4-H and this is their favorite chick and they all want to show her. So, I think that I better get crackin on hatching babies or buying more as long as it doesn't put me under.
wink.png

Thank you everyone for ALL your help and information. If anyone has more for me please keep it coming.

The absolute best advice I can give to you, or anyone planning on breeding or showing, is to purchase a Bantam Standard from the ABA, or the Standard of Perfection from the APA. It should be considered part of your initial flock investment.

~Gail~ My 2003 Mid-Life Crisis: My small backyard flock of Bantams: Coopa Cabana Cochins! In 2012, my focus will be to improve my Golden Laced and continue with my Blue Laced Red Project.
Got Cochins? Want Cochins? Check out the
2012 Cochin Breeders Directory!
NPIP #84-111. Member ABA; Cochins International; Rocky Mountain Feather Fanciers.

I could not agree more that anyone breeding needs a standard. Any copy of the standard since the early 80's will have all the varieties in it. If you are only dealing with bantams then the ABA Bantam Standard will have some varieties that are not recognized by the APA. Note that Mille , Self Blue, Splash are not yet recognized varieties. The breed standard is still what they will be measured against and all colors/patterns are described and those descriptions are what each variety will have to meet if they ever are brought forward for variety recognition.
Quote:
For Bantams, the ABA also recognizes:
Barred
Black Tailed Red
Buff Columbian
Lemon Blue
Silver Penciled

cockerels start crowing any time from 2-3 weeks on, but usually about 2-3 months old for sure, pullets will start to lay between 4-5 months old in my experience.

My pullet didn't start laying until she was almost 8 months old. My rooster started crowing at around 2 months.
Well I guess that makes sense then. My cochin babies are 8 weeks old now. I've noticed that the boys have started to try and mate as well as attempting to "rooster". Always cracks me up when they first start. The other day i was out in our "multi-coop" and heard a strange noise. I went to check on them and asked who did it. All i got back was innocent stares. Got to love chickens!

Hi everyone! I am new to this tread as well as Cochins in general.
Today I got my first 3 hens. A partridge, splash and blue. I'm hoping the partridge is show material, the other two probably not. They're all about a year old now. I'll have to get nicer pictures of the girls soon. This is what I have for now.

This is Lucille. She's my new favorite.
love.gif

And Kayla. Molting badly.

Then little Juliette. Terrible picture of her.. Better luck next time!

And Lucille meeting Joe the turkey.

Could someone tell me what to look for in a Cochin? What makes it a show/breeding worthy bird? Maybe there is a website somewhere where I can read about the breed standard.
The little that I know about my silkies, I'm fairly new to chickens, I would imagine same applies to Cochins? You want good wings, feet, overall feathering and appearance..? Where do I start?
th.gif

I found this picture of the blue hen. A little bit better. Still not a good one, but better.

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what qualifies as good frizzling?

Sorry for the late response, havent been online in a few days. Looked through posts to make sure I wasnt saying something someone else already had. So, about good frizzle feathering:

What makes a good frizzle feather depends on the breed in question. For a Cochin, since this is the Cochin Thread, would be a very soft, wide, evenly curled feather. Both Standards state that the feather should be "as close, even, and profuse as possible", and thats for any breed. But as we all know, Cochins are very fluffy naturally, so when you add frizzling it usually gets even more fluffy (with some breeds this isnt true, for example and OEGB doesnt have loose fitting soft feathers like a Cochin, so the feathers should not be loose fitting or soft), but that should never take away from overall type. With any breed, of any feathering, type is most important.

Generally what you want to see is a bird that fits the standard description as closely as possible, and with feathers as wide and evenly curled as can be. It is also VERY important to remember when showing, that a good frizzle wont look its best without a proper bath. That is pretty 'rule of thumb' with any breed, but especially with frizzles. A frizzled feather wont look as nice, or as good as a clean feather.

Hope this has helped, if you guys have any question just let me know. I may have missed on a few things as I tried doing this in a hurry.

Also, the frizzle pullet pictured looks very nice. She also looks very young, and if so she will only get better as she matures. And I also agree, she has good frizzle feathering, but I cant see her type as her entire body isnt in the shot. She looks to be a very good bird, and congrats on your win(s).

~Casey

Last edited:
Today I got my first 3 hens. A partridge, splash and blue. I'm hoping the partridge is show material, the other two probably not. They're all about a year old now. I'll have to get nicer pictures of the girls soon. This is what I have for now.

love.gif

Could someone tell me what to look for in a Cochin? What makes it a show/breeding worthy bird? Maybe there is a website somewhere where I can read about the breed standard.
The little that I know about my silkies, I'm fairly new to chickens, I would imagine same applies to Cochins? You want good wings, feet, overall feathering and appearance..? Where do I start?
th.gif

I found this picture of the blue hen. A little bit better. Still not a good one, but better.
Not able to tell conclusively because none are even remotely in condition. All have poor or rough foot feathering and too little cushion.The Partridge is too narrow and upright. The Blue looks good but so far out of condition it is not fair to call and the same for the splash. Pictures again after molt please and will give a better answer. There is a general breed standard available on the Cochin International page. look on the header for Breed Standards. Closer picture of the Partridge next time.
Craig

Last edited:

love.gif

th.gif

I have a little partridge cochin like yours. She has just hatched 4 eggs, not sure all are hers but who cares. Her name is Daisy and she is the best momma.
Daisy and her babies.

Well, I finally got to the 4-5 month period to start selecting and culling.
Here are some so far.

Blue pullet, lacing a little dark and a little varying in shades, but glad to see any lacing.

Another one with lacing a little lighter

Some beige showing right now.

Really good type, huge body at 4 months. Sickles showing through right now, but
should get covered up eventually.

Good tall cockerel, got the "Alfafa" thing going on! cannot get those head feathers to stay down.

2 1/2 year old hen looking really solid

Year and a half old hen, huge comb and wattles! Tail cushion looking a little ragged right now.

Blue hen in serious molt, but huge head and neck.

Nice type on this cockerel, pretty decent color too.

Another one with good type

I'll try to get the rest of the flock this week,

Ricky

Not able to tell conclusively because none are even remotely in condition. All have poor or rough foot feathering and too little cushion.The Partridge is too narrow and upright. The Blue looks good but so far out of condition it is not fair to call and the same for the splash. Pictures again after molt please and will give a better answer. There is a general breed standard available on the Cochin International page. look on the header for Breed Standards. Closer picture of the Partridge next time.
Craig
When you say the partridge is too narrow, what exactly is narrow?
I will take more pictures when these girls get their full feathers in and I'll look up the Cochin International page.
Thank you for your advice!

I have a little partridge cochin like yours. She has just hatched 4 eggs, not sure all are hers but who cares. Her name is Daisy and she is the best momma.
Daisy and her babies.
Cute
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom