Cockeral or Pullet??? *update

countyroad1330

Thunder Snow 2009!
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Oklahoma!
This is my little Black Silkie. It is four months old, and very small! It recently started developing blue on the sides of it face. I know Silkies are hard, but I didn't know if someone could tell with non-beardeds. So what do you think?

j9sfhk.jpg

Also, I've noticed that there's a little flourescent color on the straight wing feathers. Just a small row between the longest feathers and the fuzz. Is that typical?

Last edited:
Wow that's a cutie....I have some and at that age it was still to hard for me to decide. Some of mine seemed to act more hen than roo. But I was never certian. Hopefully someone else can help you out.

I can't tell you what sex it is, other than it is to cute! I can tell you that most black chickens will get that floresent coloring in their feathers. If you see a purpleing then your feeding it to much corn. You want them to have a green beetle coloring in their black feathers. So yes, it is typical
big_smile.png

HA! Lot of help you guys are.
lol.png
I have a better pic of its face, but I submitted it for 'pic of the week', so I figured I should wait to post it here.

Pretty!! Look how much blue it has, and that face fuzz. Yours looks much younger than mine, and mine doesn't hardly have as much. Do males have more blue? The chicks in the back are cute too.
smile.png

P.S. Love the quote, and avatar.
lol.png

Well, Im pretty sure its a hen. I've been hearing fussing out in the pen, but never made it in time to see what the deal was. Today I caught my Australorp roo trying to mate with the itty bitty silkie. :mad: I'm trying to rehome the Lorp now, he was a rescue I brought back to health.

So I guess my little Silkie is a hen!

Back
Top Bottom