Cockerel crowing age

Burgs

Chirping
May 25, 2015
Canterbury
Hi there i have a speckled Russian Orloff who i'm pretty sure is a cockerel but its been 6 months now and he/she still hasn't crowed. All the other cockerels i've hatched have begun crowing normally around the 10-12 week mark.

I'm sure its not a girl i'm 99% positive its a boy but i was wondering whats the latest you guys have had a cockerel crow? like i said i haven't had one start crowing later than around 12 weeks.

I've never had a Russian Orloff, so I don't know how they develop particularly, however, I can say in general that it varies depending upon the development of the breed and the environment.

If you have a mature rooster in charge of the flock, a junior rooster will often not crow if he is submissive to the alpha rooster.

Some breeds mature more slowly, and I believe the Orloff is one. That can delay crowing.

I've had variations in the same breed. I've had some roosters crow at 12 weeks of age, and others not until 4 or 5 months.

So, yes, it can vary.

I would check him over to make sure he is healthy, no external parasite overload or lurking coccidiosis, but it probably is just a reluctant crower. Some roosters are just not big crowers. (Most however gleefully crow frequently).

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom