Cockerel/Rooster (what should I do?)

A little update on Jethro...I did place the ad on Craigslist to rehome him. I've received a couple inquiries but nothing has panned out. A couple people jumped the gun and were just getting pullets and it was just too soon to get a rooster. I have a guy now who has contacted me a couple times about Jethro. I've been dragging my feet because J has kind of calmed down. He's not pursuing the hens like he was. He finds bugs for them and calls them over. He's even leaving my little polish rooster alone. He's getting a chance with the girls since Jethro isn't bothering him. AHHH! I'm having second thoughts about letting him go and now this guy seems to really want him. I'm worried they won't give him as good of a home as I do.
The only things that cause me to maybe go ahead and do it are that Jethro has charged a couple male friends who were housesitting/pet sitting for me. Also the two roos are competing with the crowing.
What would you do?

A little update on Jethro...I did place the ad on Craigslist to rehome him. I've received a couple inquiries but nothing has panned out. A couple people jumped the gun and were just getting pullets and it was just too soon to get a rooster. I have a guy now who has contacted me a couple times about Jethro. I've been dragging my feet because J has kind of calmed down. He's not pursuing the hens like he was. He finds bugs for them and calls them over. He's even leaving my little polish rooster alone. He's getting a chance with the girls since Jethro isn't bothering him. AHHH! I'm having second thoughts about letting him go and now this guy seems to really want him. I'm worried they won't give him as good of a home as I do.
The only things that cause me to maybe go ahead and do it are that Jethro has charged a couple male friends who were housesitting/pet sitting for me. Also the two roos are competing with the crowing.
What would you do?
If he was my rooster, I'd keep him. Unless I knew someone who wanted him, and I knew he would get a good home.

If he tries to attack you, or acts aggressively in any way, hold him to the ground and don't let him go until he stops struggling. My aggressive rooster is now a completely nonaggressive rooster after I trained him like this.

It's always hard to decide which one to keep. I kept the quiet one out of 4 cockerels. Almost immediately he turned into a monster with the girls. Then he started to attack people. He made it to freezer camp quickly. Was better off with no males.

It's a tough decision to make, but it would be good to cut it down to one. You are not required to keep every chicken you get, especially if they're not working out for you. I'd let Jethro go to the guy who wants him and don't ask questions. Once an animal leaves your place, it's out of your control. If I read right, you have 6 pullets. Two cockerels/roosters could get to be a bit much for the girls as they mature. It could also get ugly between the cockerels as they get older. If Jethro is charging at people, he'd be the one that goes - preferably to the crockpot. I would rather process and extra (or aggressive) rooster myself than give it to someone else. After I have spent the time, money and effort to raise it, I'm not givng that good meat away to someone else. (Unless I know of someone with a real need. Then I'd consider giving it away for food.) Besides, if he's processed here, I know the deed was done as quickly and humanely as possible.

Thank you everyone. I actually have 8 pullets and 5 hens. A coyote got one of my pullets last week. So, I have 13 girls and two cockerels. The cockerels are getting along fine. Both cockerels charge at men but not me. My boyfriend was helping me put up the electric fence this weekend and Gilligan the polish cockerel charged the gate. He got the spool of wire tossed at him. Then Jethro Bodean came at him and he got the toe of his boot. They did not bother him again.
I have caught and held them like you've advised. Perhaps they do not challenge me because I feed them and spend a lot of time with them?
I can't kill or even eat them. I do not judge those who do, it's just not something I can do. I'm a wimp.
For the time being I've decided to keep Jethro. He's calmed down with the mating and he's being good to his ladyfriends. He shows them bugs and treats and watches over them.

I have caught and held them like you've advised. Perhaps they do not challenge me because I feed them and spend a lot of time with them?

To try to calm down my last mean rooster he was separated into his own small coop and run. Twice a day I fed and watered him. Figured he'd finally see me as a good thing as I provided the good stuff. Two months he was in solitary. The day after he was let out he attacked me and my grandson. He went to freezer camp that evening. Being friendly to a rooster doesn't always mean it makes the rooster friendly toward you.

The behavior is normal; young cockerels are just randy hormone machines. They do tend to calm down over a the first few months (and if they don't, then they aren't liable to until they're literally too old to care to mate much any more). Personally, if he's aggressive towards you/your family, then I'd cull him for dinner or give him to someone who doesn't care/won't be interacting with him much or will eat him anyway. Having had an inconsistently aggressive roo for almost 5 years, I am confident in saying that's life too short to keep a mean roo. That's especially true if you've got a calmer one available.

Jethro went to his new home this weekend. A very nice couple with four hens, two geese, and a couple of goats. Jethro’s new girlfriend is Abbey a RIR just like him. Their hens have not laid any eggs since they moved five weeks ago. They’re hoping Jethro’s presence will “stimulate” some egg laying.

Back
Top Bottom