Coconut Pulp/Cocofeed

Red Star

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Does anyone have a source for coconut pulp in bulk - like 50lb bags?

I suppose the health food store might have some coconut, but I didn't know if there was another option?

I've seen the hens raised on cocofeed for sale online, but not the feed . . .

Seems like a good source of protein & nutrients, right?

I suppose I need to move farther south, maybe to the tropics, to get a good deal on this. Actually with the weather we're having, that's not sounding too awful bad . . .

I've been looking for the same thing, even contacted Tropical Traditions in the hope that they were producing it since they feed their chickens cocofeed-can't find it anywhere-what I wouldn't do to find it!!! I ended up just giving my chickens coconut chips from Azure Standard. 5 lbs for $9.00. Not too bad, but I have lessened the amount I give them, now that we've had all of our chickens for awhile, and they have had a chance to adapt to our organic "lifestyle" of whole grains, and healthy foods.
big_smile.png

It truly is amazing how smelly and gross their poop was before we put them on organic food.
barnie.gif
I could hardly stand to go into the coop when we were introducing new chickens who were fed regular commercial feed-now they all smell soooooo much better!!!
lol.png

CovenantCreek, I checked there and they don't seem to have any. Good thought.

luvmygirlsinAK,

I was looking at Azure's - are the chips small enough for the chickens to handle? I wasn't sure if I would need to go with the shredded . . . Anyway, I'm not even sure if I can get any at all. I'm sure shipping's through the roof and I don't know if they have a drop point around here.

I sure wish I could find better things to feed my hens.

I want to try some whole grains but I can't seem to get ahold of anything local, especially this time of year. I guess I'd have to go with "people" bulk foods instead of feed mills.

What did the tropical traditions people tell you? I wonder why they don't sell it?

Quote:
Yes, the chips are small enough for the chickens, but because I have all sizes of chickens, I also buy the shredded coconut. Shipping is included in the price to the drop point with the exception of AK-we have to pay a little more to get it from Seattle to here.
hmm.png
(But it is still well worth it!) They will tell you if there is a drop point in your area.

Tropical Traditions just said that they don't sell it at this time, maybe in the future. I sure wish they would!!! I buy all of my grains from Azure. I buy the organic grains. Very high quality, very satisfied with them.

I am just getting started with chickens and ducks, and have been researching the best feed to get (mine are still in the incubator). Since they won't sell cocofeed, and the cocofeed is made of the coconut meat after the coconut is extracted, perhaps we could make a similar feed by just sticking chunks from whole coconuts into a blender/vitamix and adding some of this to other appropriate mash or grains? I recently discovered the coconut oil myself, and am sold! I can only imagine how much better both meat and eggs would be if this with the coconut meat is used for feed.

Sure, if you can afford to, fresh coconuts would be far better for them than the dried coconut that I give them. Up here, the fresh cocnuts sell for 2/$5.00, so the dried coconut chunks and shredded form of coconut from Azure Standard is by far cheaper for me to buy at only $8.95 for a huge 5 pound bag of chunks.

I ordered the shredded coconut from tropical traditions. Should this be fed in a separate dish from the grains or just mixed together? Any suggestions on how much of the diet should be coconut? Also, do you think this is suitable for chicks or should I wait until they get a little older? (Mine are due to hatch Saturday!)

Let me know how this goes. Coconut is so good for you. I would love to be able to afford to feed it to my ducks.

Quote:
I mix my coconut in with my grains, and laying feed. In a 2 gallon container, I put about a cup in of the shredded/chunks of dried coconut. But I also give them things like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. I don't know what age to start giving the chicks shredded coconut, but if it were me, I would give my chicks shredded coconut as soon as they start eating starter feed. That's just me, I think it would be an extremely healthy thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom