Coker milling

Bkaye

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Feb 28, 2022
Eastern North Carolina
So I’ve been researching and trying to find a local feed mill that services my area (Cumberland co. In NC). I have come across Coker Milling. Has anyone ever had their feed? A decent amount of mom and pop stores in the area that has their feed.

My next question. 2 roosters in my flock so their layer feed is out of the question. They do have a starter/grower I could go with that I have been toying with trying. They also have a game bird blend that I’m unsure about. The game bird has a blend of different seeds in it. Im
Partially worried that my birds will pick out their favorites and leave the rest and not have a balanced diet. Where as of course the starter/grower is crumbles. I have attached the label and ingredients of both the game bird and the starter grower for opinions.

This is the starter grower.
68E1EBE6-7FA3-4F72-85BE-2B42CE47391F.png
431E1CDE-9B59-4978-A3A2-68EAA6463B80.png

Below is the game bird blend.
64A63FF1-2975-4DC0-975E-952DB1484EC6.png

83063D62-DCDD-4CD1-BF4A-A3601FA769AD.png
8523DD13-CA2E-497B-9412-430837F0DBCD.png

So I’ve been researching and trying to find a local feed mill that services my area (Cumberland co. In NC). I have come across Coker Milling. Has anyone ever had their feed?
I haven't (I'm in Washington)
It looks pretty alright to me, though.
A decent amount of mom and pop stores in the area that has their feed.

My next question. 2 roosters in my flock so their layer feed is out of the question. They do have a starter/grower I could go with that I have been toying with trying. They also have a game bird blend that I’m unsure about. The game bird has a blend of different seeds in it. Im
Partially worried that my birds will pick out their favorites and leave the rest and not have a balanced diet. Where as of course the starter/grower is crumbles. I have attached the label and ingredients of both the game bird and the starter grower for opinions.
I would probably stay away from the game bird feed. Whenever I got a feed for my hens and rooster that wasn't pellets/crumbles, they'd pick through and make a mess.
I'm no expert, though on feed. I know @Kiki knows a lot about feed.

So I’ve been researching and trying to find a local feed mill that services my area (Cumberland co. In NC). I have come across Coker Milling. Has anyone ever had their feed? A decent amount of mom and pop stores in the area that has their feed.

This is the starter grower.View attachment 3061508View attachment 3061510

Below is the game bird blend.
View attachment 3061511

View attachment 3061513View attachment 3061512
The game bird feed that is whole grain looking would be 100% out of the question for me.

I would like to let you know that there are many many people that feed their one or two roosters layer feed and have zero issues with the roosters eating it.

There are also many many people that choose to feed their flock an all flock tight feed and have many many issues with their hens laying soft eggs or something similar.

Without a doubt I would choose to feed a rooster a layer type feed before I would feed my hens and all flock feed with calcium on the side.

The starter grower crumble is fine to feed your entire flock for their entire life but you must add calcium for your hens.
Avoid that game bird feed or any other feed that is not in a crumble or pelleted form at all costs.

Thank you @Lemon-Drop and @Kiki. That confirmed my speculation. Going to stick with the starter for now. Our plan is to rotate out our flock every few years, use the roosters to hatch out a new batch and rotate the hens as egg production drops. So I may look into doing a layer feed since I don’t expect him to stick a around but a few years before he goes to the freezer anyway.

Thanks a bunch guys!

While I differ with @Kiki re: "Layer" and Roosters long term, I reach the same conclusion in this case regarding the choice of feeds.

The Starter is better protein, better amino acid profile, lower fat (that's better too!), better fiber, and has no risk of birds inflicting nutritional deficiencies upon themselves by picking out favorite seeds in accordance with flock heirarchy and leaving the less desirous ingredients for lower order members of the flock.

As "Game Bird" goes, that mill has a much different idea of what a game bird needs than any of the mills around me (my bag of game bird in the feed shed is 24% protein, and I've seen them as high as 30% protein - essentially turkey grower feed). Perhaps they intend it as a "maintenance" ration?

Back
Top Bottom