Cold-Hardy or Heat-Hardy more important?

HCBeck

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 10, 2019
Maryland
I'm new to raising chickens and had a question about which breeds to order. If I live in a climate (I'm in Maryland) that can get down to the teens regularly in the winter and also into the 90's regularly in the summer, should I be looking for a cold-hardy or heat-hardy chicken? I assumed cold-hardy was more important because I will not be heating my coop but there will be plenty of shade and things I can provide for the hens to keep cool in summer. Would my assumptions be correct?

I'm new to raising chickens and had a question about which breeds to order. If I live in a climate (I'm in Maryland) that can get down to the teens regularly in the winter and also into the 90's regularly in the summer, should I be looking for a cold-hardy or heat-hardy chicken? I assumed cold-hardy was more important because I will not be heating my coop but there will be plenty of shade and things I can provide for the hens to keep cool in summer. Would my assumptions be correct?
We get some hot weather here in Maine too. I put a big chunk of ice in their water feeder in the summer. My sons live just north of Baltimore. I know how hot it gets down there. I think here in the US vs Australia where it seems to get really hot you'd be alright with most breeds available. Fancy breeds I'm not so sure. Someone will come along here with more advice. The cold is bad in the winter but if you have a well ventilated coop without drafts you should be ok. No moisture on the walls or ceilings. DRY coop is the best. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom