Color dyed chicks?

I have three Silkies, which I tried feather sexing at a day old. I know it's not always accurate but figured what the heck. Anyway, I thought maybe one cockerel, two pullets, but as they started to grow realized I couldnt really tell them apart. He is too little for a leg band. I read on here to mark them with Sharpies, so tried that. But I hate those, they stink and I was only willing to do the outer tips of his feathers in one spt and it would wear off quickly. Then he got pooped on and I had to give him a bath anyway, so I dyed him with beet juice. Not all over, just his back and wings where he was dirty. I only did it pretty lightly too, but it has been a week and I can still see it. Though he is way slower to feather still than the other two and smaller, so I'm starting to be able to pick him out without the mark. The problem with dying chicks with most dyes though is that generally they are supposed to set for 15+ minutes and then be washed off, and chicks chill so easily. That's why ours was so light, I was so worried about the little guy getting cold.

Quote:
I want to second this....I love the colors my baby peeps came in, so why do something just for the enjoyment when you can enjoy them in a much more natural state and not perhaps do something that may effect them in a negative way?!

Quote:
I dunno
idunno.gif

I have a question, why is it illegal some places?

If the dye is not harming the chicken or chick, whats the problem?
What am I missing?

As long as its not abuse people should be able to do what they like with their animals. Dress them is silly clothes,put bows in their hair, use safe dyes on them, ect.

Quote:
I'm curious, do we know that it's not harming them? Does injecting dye into the eggs affect hatch rates or health later on? And really, would you be okay with a pregnant mother injecting dye into her uterus to dye a baby? It would get in their eyes, ears, nose, mouth... I've seen the dyed chicks (not in person) and I agree with others, I think their natural colours are beautiful and varied enough. As I said above, I did dye a Silkie pink a little bit with beet juice, but was very careful that it didn't affect him any more than having a bath would anyway (which he needed). I think injecting dye into fish to make them colourful should be illegal too (and it probably is in some places).

I'm not sure why dyeing an animal in a more conventional way (the way we dye our own hair) with a food-safe dye would be illegal though.

Back
Top Bottom