Color dyed chicks?

Quote:
It's for the market.
So people can sell more novelty pets to kids during Easter time only to be thrown away later down the road.

I think chickens are just gorgeous the way they are. And the dye does not last forever, it takes a very long time to fade and looks really funky in my opinion.

Quote:
Well, I'm judging and being critical! I think the coloring is not only disrespectful to another living creature, but it endorses the idea that chicks are just Easter toys, i.e. to be played with for a day or two, mauled, and forgotten (or killed).
Chicks are adorably cute AS IS!
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
It's to try and help prevent the impulsive purchasing of "Easter pets".

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, so I will not post much more.
But if one cannot appreciate the beauty of poultry without coloring it and putting jewelry on it like a toy, then one should not own animals.

To each her own!

Give you fowl some hugs from us,

Jasmine and naked, au' natural Balbinka

Last edited:
Quote:
I want to second this....I love the colors my baby peeps came in, so why do something just for the enjoyment when you can enjoy them in a much more natural state and not perhaps do something that may effect them in a negative way?!

I'll give that a third... it just seems wrong to me, but of course that's JMHO.

I used foodcoloring to mark my cockerel and the 2 cull chicks. I didn't even consider the fact that dying chicks could be illegal. Their whole backs are red or blue.

Chicks are insanely adorable as is.

Before this thread I had no idea a hachery or store would dye chicks in the egg to make more sales around easter.I've never heard or seen this. It seems unnessesary since our local store has a hard time keeping chicks through the weekend.

I personally can not see myself dying my chickens, but it shouldn't be illegal to dye a pet that a person owns. Just becasue I would not do it doesn't mean someone else should not be allowed to do it, if done humanely.

You know, to each their own, as long as it harm none.
I still don't see the harm in someone dying their pets. I don't think it hurts their feelings or makes them feel disrespected.

I did put food coloring on my baby chicks to tell them apart, the kids named them.

Its worn off now, because I dyed the fluff and not feathers.

Coloring chicks in eggs to make sales and dying fish seems to be a different issue than dying a pet.

So would it be illegal for an individual to dye there own livestock that they are not selling. Or is this law only for those selling animals?

Back
Top Bottom