Color genetics thread.

Hi I was wondering if there was any way to get the same chick as the parents colour without the parents being the same colour. I know if you put a silver with a light then it would eventually become a coronation then a platinum. But I was wondering if I would I could put something in with a buff hen or rooster and get the chicks to be a buff and what ever the buff mated with.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/
content/type/61/id/7659797/width/200/height/400
Hi just jumping in cause this thread looks more active. Just trying to understand genetics and colours etc what would you call these two? Is one lemon? The other seems to be a mix of a lot.

Hi I was wondering if there was any way to get the same chick as the parents colour without the parents being the same colour. I know if you put a silver with a light then it would eventually become a coronation then a platinum. But I was wondering if I would I could put something in with a buff hen or rooster and get the chicks to be a buff and what ever the buff mated with.
The only way you can do what you are wanting to do is if you cross a silver female version of buff ( almost white chicken) with a buff male This way all the autosomal genes are inherited so each offspring has the same autosomal genes as each parent and the sex-linked phenotypes are different between the male and female offspring; the males are the silver version of buff and the females are buff, the opposite of the parents.

Buff is a polygenic trait- if you cross a buff with a different variety then the offspring will be a different genotype than both parents.The restrictors found in the buff variety are incompletely dominant so the phenotypes of the offspring will not be the same as the parent.

Hi just jumping in cause this thread looks more active. Just trying to understand genetics and colours etc what would you call these two? Is one lemon? The other seems to be a mix of a lot.
She looks buff to me. The other is a hybrid without any specific phenotype. Here in the USA we would call it a mutt, Heinz 57 or barnyard variety.

Last edited:
I thought buff looked more orange? They bothhave same parents so was trying to work out what was in the rooster since he is white and a yellow that I don't know. Mother is splash so that is just two blues???

Is there any difference if I have a gold rooster with blue wyandotte hens and silver wyandotte hens.
Of course there will be a difference in the chicks. Blue wyandottes are actually black, with the blue dilute gene affecting the black coloring. 50% of the chicks will be black and 50% will be Blue. If you mean Blue Laced Red, then all will be red/gold laced, but half will have the blue dilute gene affecting the black lacing.
Gold laced rooster to silver laced hens will produce sexlinked chicks, but you may not be able to see the difference until feathers start coming in.

Is there any difference if I have a gold rooster with blue wyandotte hens and silver wyandotte hens.
I do not understand your question. Any difference in what. If you want chickens that look alike, you have to cross like with like. Normally, you can not cross a rooster of one variety with hens of two different varieties and get offspring that look alike. There are exceptions- dominant white and self black and then it depends on certain genes that must be involved in the crossing.

Last edited:
Thanks wappoke. When I google buff x blue it comes up with the same colour as the multi colour one. So I know the rooster has buff in him at least

Back
Top Bottom