Color genetics thread.

I’ve got a color question, I’m trying to get some white chickens.

So I bred this rooster, Stonefrost, (his dad is buff Brahma bantam, mom barred Cochin Bantam) to my white Bantam Cochin hen Marshmallow
9C1603AF-7655-4CEC-9A26-E5B445FC29FE.jpeg

They produced this little guy, Darkfrost.
90CECCA1-218C-4EAF-AE7F-E17C32E87A5F.jpeg

And his two sisters, one has gold leakage the other has silver.
E4F24085-24A5-4CBC-8A76-D3F142908FC3.jpeg

And those three have a half sister (Ninja) who is black with gold leakage also, they have the same white Cochin mom, but her dad was a blue Cochin.

My question is what hen is the best way to get white chicks? Who should I breed Darkfrost to? I have a different white Cochin hen (snowflake) that I could use.
Would Darkfrost x Snowflake get the most white chicks?
Is breeding him with his sisters a bad idea? What about his half sister, Ninja?

Curious as to whether anyone knows more about the bobtail Cochin genetics yet? So far I've picked up that they come from black reds and breed like an extreme recessive, possibly with sex linked components. I'm going to play around with mine a bit, but I'm still quite curious about the relationship of lavender to the bobtail. I have some lavender bantam Ameraucana - will probably make a few Easter eggers with Ameraucana x bobtail just to see what the color does.
IMG_20191221_110002.jpg
IMG_20191221_110002.jpg

I created this thread when I was 14 I can’t believe it has gotten this many comments on it. That is crazy. Chickens and there genetics are still just as interesting now at 20 years old as they were when I was 14. And I want some bobtails so bad, glad to see they are taking a hold in America.

Back
Top Bottom