Color genetics thread.

Pics
Does anyone have ideas on how to get a flock of Silkied Ameraucanas that produce Blue/Black/Splash/Lavender or Chocolate chicks but only has one rooster? Is that even possible? I can hold 11 hens and only 1 roo.

I think my best bet would be a Khaki(mauve) roo right?

I will be ordering hatching eggs for the Easter HAL and I'm trying to figure out what to get. I figured 2 of each of the above colors for the pullets with an extra black split to lavender pullet.

Does that sound right?

That sounds like a cool idea!
smile.png

This may sound like an odd question, but do you mean pure Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers? EEs don't have consistent genetics.
Also, are you getting them as silky ameraucanas or are you breeding the silkied gene into them with the rooster?

I'm not an expert on genetics, but this sounds like a cool plan so I'd love to hear more about it.

That sounds like a cool idea! :)     
This may sound like an odd question, but do you mean pure Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers? EEs don't have consistent genetics.
Also, are you getting them as silky ameraucanas or are you breeding the silkied gene into them with the rooster?

I'm not an expert on genetics, but this sounds like a cool plan so I'd love to hear more about it. 

I'm hoping to hatch some pure Ameraucanas that have the silkied mutation. They aren't mixed but they also aren't are recognized by the breed club as of yet. I've found a few people that have them in B/B/S and Black/Lavender and I'm hoping to get a Chocolate/Lavender or Khaki (mauve) roo that is silkied or hard feathered. I realize it will take time but I feel like it's doable. Especially if I can get some lavender cuckoo hens to introduce barring to make sexing easier.

I love studying genetics, but sometimes my mind can't keep up with it all.
smile.png
I'd love to see some pictures of them though!

I love studying genetics, but sometimes my mind can't keep up with it all.
smile.png
I'd love to see some pictures of them though!
I have a bit of a tough time keeping up too. I will most assuredly post pics when I start. I plan on going to college when my littlest is in school full time and I want to major in genetics. I am loving my chickens and breeding them is going to be awesome. I have 3 pullets lined up to get in spring. A hard feathered Blue, a Silkied Lavender and a Silkied Black split to Lavender. I am going to try to hatch some shipped Silkied Splashes and try to get a Hard feathered Chocolate (or eggs) from a local if she'll sell to me. I know they aren't perfect, but they are my starter girls and I love them already.

Hi! Google hasn't helped much, so I thought I'd ask you all...What would cause incomplete barring? I'm just now seeing a few blurry barred tail feathers on a 6 month old roo that I thought was solid until now...
If you have a solid black bird with a few blurred bars on the tail, the bars are an anomaly and not due to the sex-linked barring gene. Most likely the bars will not be found in the tail feathers when he molts and produces new feathers.

If your bird is not black then he could be carrying one barring gene. Barring does not show very well on birds with certain genotypes.

your welcome

choc x choc should equal all choc

male cuckoo ( 1 barring gene) x choc can produce non barred males

male cuckoo (2 barring genes) x choc will produce only barred males

female cuckoo x choc male = will produce only barred males

Does anyone have ideas on how to get a flock of Silkied Ameraucanas that produce Blue/Black/Splash/Lavender or Chocolate chicks but only has one rooster? Is that even possible? I can hold 11 hens and only 1 roo.

I think my best bet would be a Khaki(mauve) roo right?

I will be ordering hatching eggs for the Easter HAL and I'm trying to figure out what to get. I figured 2 of each of the above colors for the pullets with an extra black split to lavender pullet.

Does that sound right?

Lavender is recessive so to get more lavender you must cross a male lav and a female lav ( no chocolate offspring in this scenario)

male = genetic black male with 2 lavender genes

females would need to be the following

dun female

splash female

black female

lav female

produces blue, black, dun and lav

chocolate is a recessive sex lined gene so to produce chocolate females a male must at least carry one chocolate gene x black female (no choc males can be produced)

lavender male (genetic black) that carries one choc gene

females would need to be the following

dun female

splash female

black female

lavender female

these crosses produce blue, black, dun and lav and chocolate females no choc males

genetic black male that carries two sex linked choc (he is choc)

dun female

splash female

black female

choc female

crosses produce blue, black, dun and chocolate

to get all the possibilities the male would have to be choc, blue and lavender (an almost white chicken)

blue, chocolate, dun are all diluting genes so you could get combinations that cause various other plumage shaded colors even white- gray, brownish white, very light gray etc.

you could get false chocolate on a dun bird that carries gold

you could also produce a khaki with the right combination of genes ( dun and blue) khaki can vary quite a bit so some variation may show up

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom