Color genetics thread.

Pics
I'm so lost cause I can't seem to find speciFic answers when googling. So I thought I'd try here. I'm understanding a bit about what makes what but i cant seem to simply find "how do i know what is recessive and what is dominant in my bird?"

I feel as though this is either one of those it isn't that simple or oh here's a chart kind of questions lol.

Thanks!

Jerry is correct...go slow...and what I found is by the time I learned something up real good, they discovered something else that disproved it (the w chromosome does not necessarily determine gender in birds...agh!). Be in flux and always prove it to yourself in your bird breeding pens. What may work for others might not work in your situation and if you hear hoofbeats, don't immediately think zebras...keep it simple if able.
tongue.png

A quick google search netted me this...the second link has pictures...pictures and live birds rock for me on how to learn things!
woot.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(genetics)

http://www.accessexcellence.org/RC/VL/GG/recessive.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system

Wikipedia is a great source for both complex and simple ways to study...not always correct but a good place to begin to have fun...and yeh, it does get to be FUN as things click and fall into place. What is very kewl is when you begin on genetics alot is transferrable to other species...so what I learned in dogs can work in ruminants, birds with other fine hiccups, but you can build on your knowledge. Have FUN!
hugs.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

I had my hen hatch out 9 eggs 7/9 are from EE's with pea combs. They are to young to guess their gender. My question is, my EE Roo I believe has a buttercup comb. If I crossed him with a green layer and a blue layer both with pea combs will I have a chance getting more colored eggs? I'm clueless on genetics any info will help! Thanks in advance! I'm trying to decide who I will keep. As I do know they are mutts and anything can happen with the EE's. Here is a picture of my Roos comb. I have noides what he is mixed with

Last edited:
I had my hen hatch out 9 eggs 7/9 are from EE's with pea combs. They are to young to guess their gender. My question is, my EE Roo I believe has a buttercup comb. If I crossed him with a green layer and a blue layer both with pea combs will I have a chance getting more colored eggs? I'm clueless on genetics any info will help! Thanks in advance! I'm trying to decide who I will keep. As I do know they are mutts and anything can happen with the EE's. Here is a picture of my Roos comb. I have noides what he is mixed with

Well he does not have a buttercup comb, it actually looks more like a rose comb.

Well he does not have a buttercup comb, it actually looks more like a rose comb.

Oh and he is gorgeous!
Thank you! Does his comb determine what color eggs the EE's may lay? Even with my chicks that hatched out if blue and green? I think I said he gave us quite a few dark chicks. Only 2 yellow rest brown/dark red/ grey.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what factor does his comb play in genetics ?

He's so sweet ! He let's me pick him up and lays his head on my shoulder
1f60d.png

Thank you! Does his comb determine what color eggs the EE's may lay? Even with my chicks that hatched out if blue and green? I think I said he gave us quite a few dark chicks. Only 2 yellow rest brown/dark red/ grey.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what factor does his comb play in genetics ?

He's so sweet ! He let's me pick him up and lays his head on my shoulder
1f60d.png

Comb does not indicate egg color . However the blue egg gene likes to travel with pea comb .

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this... but I have two red orpington pullets. What color chicks would I get if I crossed them to my black orpington roo? Or my jubilee roo? Which roo would be best for them?

This is a great idea for a thread!

I have always wondered, what is the difference between jubilee, speckled (as in speckled sussux for example) and red porcelain genetics wise? They all look the same to me. Are they basically the same colorings, just different names?

Back
Top Bottom